Civil War Token, Early Naval Button and a FE Cent!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Saturday I revisited the site where I found the counterfeit capped bust half dollar. On the initial hunt I hadn't found any (genuine) coins, but I knew there had to be some there. I seems I did a pretty good job clearing the site last time as there was nowhere near as many targets but I did find where the coins were hiding! I found three including a nice 1839 large cent and an 1857 flying eagle cent:

DSC06806.JPG DSC06808.JPG DSC06809.JPG DSC06810.JPG

My favorite is the 1863 civil war token. I love when these turn up and as a bonus it's from a local business!

DSC06811.JPG DSC06812.JPG

The reverse in is the best shape, but the obverse reads John Thomas Jr. Here's what a non-dug example looks like:

Sk48f2WMAHb6oi7TH9jgsY39M5jZmJ.jpg

As cool as that was; the star find of the hunt was the naval button. I've seen similar ones posted here, but I never expected to dig one myself!

DSC06817.JPG DSC06820.JPG

It's actually in pretty good shape considering. Much of the gold gilt remains and all of the lettering on the back is still visible. From my research I think this is a variety used from the 1810's through the 1830's. I wish I could say for sure that this was from the war of 1812, but I guess it was used for a time after that.

There was no shortage of other buttons found during the hunt including an awesome pair of fancy 2-piece buttons. One of which still has cloth attached!

DSC06813.JPG DSC06814.JPG DSC06815.JPG

I also found a handful of other relics including another really nice buckle, part of a barrel tap, and a very pretty rosette like brass piece.

DSC06821.JPG

It's incredible how much I've dug so far and there's probably much more to be found at this site. Also I haven't found where the silver is hiding so I have to go back and figure that out. :laughing7: There are some smaller fields behind the cellar hole so I may search those next and see if some more coins turn up!

DSC06805.JPG

Upvote 32

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread