Finally found the lost dock! 7 Silvers in one hour!

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This month I began the search for the location of a long lost dock that existed up until the mid 1930's. I had read about this place several times and only had a few clues to go by. It was a popular place during the first quarter of the 1900's and oral history spoke fondly of it. Kids jumping off the dock and swimming all summer long. I had about a quarter mile stretch of possibilities and managed to narrow it down to an area about the length of a football field, thanks to personal communication with some old timers. The area is tricky because it is now only accessible during negative tides, so I've only had two previous failed attempts to try and find it.

Today's low tide corresponded with lunchtime, so I decided to give it another shot. I hiked down to the area, this time overshooting my previous attempts by about 50 yards. I got a nice sharp high tone with the Equinox and was thinking no way it is a silver. I was wrong:

Dock-1.jpg

Dock-0.jpg

And then it started happening. I kept hitting silvers.

Dock-3.jpg

Dock-2.jpg

Most were at or just below the surface. Here's a 1927 SLQ surface find:

Dock-4.jpg

And then I found confirmation of the dock. I forgot to take a photo, but I found the stubs of the supports, which are now level with the ground and almost impossible to see unless you step on them. I FOUND THE DOCK! By this time the tide was coming in and I had an appointment to get to. 7 silvers, one hour. They are ugly, but I don't care:

Dock-6.jpg

Now imagine my excitement to go back and dig all non ferrous there. There has to be many more coins and all the other goodies people dropped during those times... HH!

Last edited:
Upvote 76
OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious, how long have you been searching for the dock?

I tried to find it last year, but my MXT couldn't handle the black sand and saltwater. In the meantime, I started compiling more data and clues. This dock was not an official dock or sanctioned by the city, so it doesn't show on maps and was too early for old aerial photos. Back then people could build whatever they wanted as long as it served a community purpose. It wasn't until Feb of this year that I had a capable detector for saltwater. The Equinox ran like a fine-tuned machine there, so I am really excited to explore many new saltwater areas. But first, to pound this spot!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Excellent! I very much expect to see at least one gold ring posted from your next trip to this spot. Grats!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I tried to find it last year, but my MXT couldn't handle the black sand and saltwater. In the meantime, I started compiling more data and clues. This dock was not an official dock or sanctioned by the city, so it doesn't show on maps and was too early for old aerial photos. Back then people could build whatever they wanted as long as it served a community purpose. It wasn't until Feb of this year that I had a capable detector for saltwater. The Equinox ran like a fine-tuned machine there, so I am really excited to explore many new saltwater areas. But first, to pound this spot!

Do you have a specific program you like to run on the beach? I struggled on the beach with the CTX in a modified silver program.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As I said I can't wait to see more success from there. I do hope you find a lot of fantastic coins and jewelry. In a virgin DIVE spot in the Detroit river I found 309 silver coins, over 100 pieces of silver jewelry and 53 pieces of gold in 2016. This spot was a public beach from 1909 - 1963.

What is fantastic about those spots is very little to no trash except dock nails, screws and washers. Take a lot of time there and keep it quiet. Don't expect to see a lot of gold, but hopefully you will find a few pieces. Your area probably was not as popular as this Detroit beach was but hopefully you will do great.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s some great loot. Keep hunting that place till it runs dry. Congrats and happy hunting.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooHoo! There's gonna be rings, rings, rings!!!:occasion14:
Nice take!

Iowa Dale

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silver finds!!! Great job on researching that location. You’ve found a nice honey hole & now it’s time to enjoy it!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did some good research and it is paying off. Congrats! I hope there is an "S" on that 1927 quarter. That would be great!

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a specific program you like to run on the beach? I struggled on the beach with the CTX in a modified silver program.

I just use the stock settings on the Nox - Beach2, with only the tones and tone-breaks changed to match the other programs. I have zero knowledge of the CTX, but am pretty sure you can run it on this type of saltwater shore. I've seen some youtube vids of people running them on similar saltwater shores with no problems. I would ask in the CTX sub forum and see if they have some good custom settings. Definitely get that thing sorted out for this kind of detecting! I'm just now realizing the possibilities of hunting spots like this.

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did some good research and it is paying off. Congrats! I hope there is an "S" on that 1927 quarter. That would be great!

I was looking for a mint mark, but can't quite tell. I need to clean it up just a little more. Heck I'd even take a Denver!

As I said I can't wait to see more success from there. I do hope you find a lot of fantastic coins and jewelry. In a virgin DIVE spot in the Detroit river I found 309 silver coins, over 100 pieces of silver jewelry and 53 pieces of gold in 2016. This spot was a public beach from 1909 - 1963.

What is fantastic about those spots is very little to no trash except dock nails, screws and washers. Take a lot of time there and keep it quiet. Don't expect to see a lot of gold, but hopefully you will find a few pieces. Your area probably was not as popular as this Detroit beach was but hopefully you will do great.

Thanks for tips! Always enjoy your posts and any advice is welcome! You are spot on - Barely any trash. Almost every target is something cool or a lead sinker. I'm just thankful to have a new go-to location because my others are starting to run dry.

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had another hour there today, this time digging all non-ferrous targets. Still managed to pull 3 silvers (SLQ and two mercs), a bunch of roached wheat pennies, and some other interesting items. Not pictured are about a dozen lead sinkers, which I kind of expected to be around a dock. Interestingly, the only modern item I dug was a 2006 Quarter, so YAY! Back tomorrow...

Dock-SLQ.jpg

Dock-12.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the handful of silver recoveries! :occasion14:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the type of hunt we all envision each time we go out! Congratulations on finding a killer spot, your hard work paid off!

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I cleaned it up today. It is an S! Too bad it is so roached. I'll take a key date in any condition though!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job cracking the case great finds I bet theres hundreds of dollars in coin there

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SLQ-1927-S.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the successful research, and resulting nice finds. I look forward to seeing what comes up next.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread