Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went on a joint hunt Saturday AM to an old park in Baltimore City.

John was the first to find an old coin, a 1906 Indian. We stayed in the same area for awhile and I dug a 1923 Buff and not long after that, a matron LC.
I've shown the LC alongside a circulated specimen.
1821 comp.jpg IMG_6379.JPG

We left that area and headed over to another distant area of the park and, once again, John found the "hot spot" and called me over. By the time I got there he had a merc, and was a little bummed for having scratched the back of it. We stayed in that spot because it is filled with deep targets. I ended up digging a second Buff on the day and a British general service button that dates from WWI of WWII.
IMG_6385.JPG

On the way home that day I stopped by an elementary school and hit the tot lot, which turned out to have very few coins but on my last pass through I got a dime-like signal and did a double-take on the target since it looked a little different from a clad dime. Turns out it is a 1964 Rosie. IMG_6387.JPG

I had some time to detect this morning so I drove down to the same city park and went back to where I had found an Indian and a Victorian era thimble last week and really wasn't find much but deep iron. On the third spot I tried I got a nice high-tone. Looked like a coin at first but it is a button without the shank; this one was made in Birmingham, England. One foot away I got another high-tone and this time it really was a coin, an 1806 draped-bust half cent.
IMG_6396.JPG IMG_6394.JPG
The half cent has stems off the ribbon on the reverse, which is rotated from the obverse by 90 degrees.
IMG_6393.JPG If this is a small "6" variety, and I think it may be due to the gap between the "6" and the zero, it is probably one of the rarest coins I've found to date.
The second button shown above was found about 8 feet from the button/half cent location.

A little more research on the half cent leads me to think it's a large "6" variety, not the small "6".
1806 date.png

Last edited:
Upvote 30

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread