Second Time at the Beach

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spent a long weekend at the beach (Seaside, Florida) Again, I am looking at buying a better detector, but for now I am using a fairly inexpensive Discovery brand, which a friend loaned me. For just walking in the sand, it actually does pretty good.
However, this trip I feel like I was robbing a kids toy box. Last time, in April, I found mainly coins. This time it seems I struck it rich with toy cars and trucks. All of these were found in different locations, so they are not from the same child. Some of these were just below the surface while others were 6" to 8" down. I also found this great toy bulldozer buried in the sand. I dug it up and was admiring it, when I saw a little kid staring at me. His father was sitting nearby, so I asked if it was theirs. The father said yes. They had been looking for it. It seems the kid had buried it in the sand but could not find it afterwards. So I made a little kid happy by finding his toy. It was a good feeling.
Then, there are the tent stakes. SO MANY tent stakes!! Plus, beers cans, bottle caps, and pop tops. I do not understand why people cannot walk fifty feet to a garbage can instead of burying their trash on the beach!!
I also met a man on the beach with a Garrett detector. Actually, he was in the ocean . He said the detector was waterproof and design for under water. The one thing I do not understand - or believe - is he told me that every time he comes to the beach (twice a year), he finds at least two rings in the ocean. I find this hard to believe, but i am new at this hobby. However, I have read where people hunt for years and never find a ring or anything like a ring. For this man to find two every time he comes... well I am a little skeptical....??
Anyway, I was happy with my "finds". I also discovered that it is easy and fun to go detecting at night on the beach. As long as there is enough light for you to be able to see so you do not fall into a hole, and as long as you have a decent flash light, I found walking on the beach detecting in the dark a lot of fun. Hey, most of the time we cannot see what we are looking for anyway!! Right?? Try it sometime!
May Beach Find.jpg

Upvote 11

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds and congrats! It is not hard to believe that if the man metal detects in the water along a fairly or real popular beach only twice a year, that he would find at the least two rings each trip! This is especially likely, if there are not many other metal detectorists that actually detect in the water or don't go out much further than where the water comes up past your knees. Folks that venture out in water up to their chest, often make some amazing and multiple finds but they work for every one of them.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds. Also made a little boy happy. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice collection of toys! :occasion14:

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great return on the boy's bulldozer! That and the fun of the hunt are the real treasure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spent a long weekend at the beach (Seaside, Florida) Again, I am looking at buying a better detector, but for now I am using a fairly inexpensive Discovery brand, which a friend loaned me. For just walking in the sand, it actually does pretty good.
However, this trip I feel like I was robbing a kids toy box. Last time, in April, I found mainly coins. This time it seems I struck it rich with toy cars and trucks. All of these were found in different locations, so they are not from the same child. Some of these were just below the surface while others were 6" to 8" down. I also found this great toy bulldozer buried in the sand. I dug it up and was admiring it, when I saw a little kid staring at me. His father was sitting nearby, so I asked if it was theirs. The father said yes. They had been looking for it. It seems the kid had buried it in the sand but could not find it afterwards. So I made a little kid happy by finding his toy. It was a good feeling.
Then, there are the tent stakes. SO MANY tent stakes!! Plus, beers cans, bottle caps, and pop tops. I do not understand why people cannot walk fifty feet to a garbage can instead of burying their trash on the beach!!
I also met a man on the beach with a Garrett detector. Actually, he was in the ocean . He said the detector was waterproof and design for under water. The one thing I do not understand - or believe - is he told me that every time he comes to the beach (twice a year), he finds at least two rings in the ocean. I find this hard to believe, but i am new at this hobby. However, I have read where people hunt for years and never find a ring or anything like a ring. For this man to find two every time he comes... well I am a little skeptical....??
Anyway, I was happy with my "finds". I also discovered that it is easy and fun to go detecting at night on the beach. As long as there is enough light for you to be able to see so you do not fall into a hole, and as long as you have a decent flash light, I found walking on the beach detecting in the dark a lot of fun. Hey, most of the time we cannot see what we are looking for anyway!! Right?? Try it sometime!
View attachment 1591041

Not hard to believe he finds 2 each time, although he is probably talking about 2 per vacation not 2 per day, the majority of the rings I find are in the water or wet sand that was under water on last high tide, my best day I found 5 gold, two of which had diamonds. When you see people walking the beach with a detector they are not looking for coins they are looking for gold jewelry, we use the coins to help cover the expenses. I have saved all my clad coins that I have found, have a little over $1200 in change in jar.

As far as hunting at night just stay aware, I know of 2 people who were mugged while detecting at night. I am always armed when I hunt myself, especially at night and during the day if I am not going in the water due to rough surf ect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions