Artillery Fuse Plug?

May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I NEED HELP! Was out relic hunting a couple of days ago and dug this interesting item! I was excited, at first, thinking it was the right size and weight of a artillery fuse plug but.... after looking online and through all my reference books can not find anything close! Size looks similar to a Borman Fuse Plug but has additional recessed holes! The hole in the middle, as you can see in the pics, is off centered and a lot larger than normal! Found the item at a known Civil War battle site in Louisiana! Along with this item, me and my buddy found several round balls, a few minies, grape shot, shrapnel and a J-Hook! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Upvote 22

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, is a extremely rare confederate "converted" Borman fuse support plug, per cannonball guy. I found one on Bayou Rapides outside of Alexandria,la

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep what he said just pretend I said it first

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
R
May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the quick response and ID etex! I knew with all the great relic hunters on the forum, it wouldn't be long until I would find out weather it was a Civil War relic or a left over part from a Model T ! I had no idea it would be a "extremely rare" Confederate piece of history!

Last edited:

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick response and ID buck8point! I knew with all the great relic hunters on the forum, it wouldn't be long until I would find out weather it was a Civil War relic or a left over part from a Model T ! I had no idea it would be a "extremely rare" Confederate piece of history!

Wish I could take the credit for that ID but it was etex that made that ID call. Congrats on the Awesome Find.

builderb1

Jul 11, 2016
nc
Detector(s) used
bountyhunter quickdraw pro
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice..

OP
OP
R
May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for pointing that out, buck8point, I gave credit where credit was due and corrected the original post! Thanks for the congrats! Super excited about the find! A first for me!

OP
OP
R
May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the ID etex! Made my relic hunt a hunt to remember! First fuse/ plug of any sort for me so adding this one proudly to my collection!

OP
OP
R
May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, is a extremely rare confederate "converted" Borman fuse support plug, per cannonball guy. I found one on Bayou Rapides outside of Alexandria,la

Hey etex.... you ever do any relic hunting around the Mansfield/ Pleasant Hill area of Louisiana? By your comment, I see you've hunted the Alexandria area before! Me and my buddy are always looking for new areas to hunt and would love to trade some info on potential sites with you! He's in Shreveport and I'm in and out of Downsville, LA oftern so have access to East Texas or Louisiana for future hunts! Let us know!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find , 'converted' a sweet word along with confederate .

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545721698.759643.jpg
Great find! I have found one as well and mine was also ID’d by TheCannonballGuy. PM him and send him the pictures and he can tell you all about it. He also records info about what the general location where these were found in. I’m sure he’d appreciate you PMing him about it.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Believe it or not I threw away my first under plug just because I didn't know what the hell it was,never again!! Great piece of history :icon_thumleft:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not I threw away my first under plug just because I didn't know what the hell it was,never again!! Great piece of history :icon_thumleft:
Yep, I almost threw away my first boreman fuse found on the Port Republic battlefield back when I was a CW relic rookie.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I dug my first CW three ringer in 1991 near Mansfield at a place called Chapmans Bayou

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the historical relic find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
R
May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1663758
Great find! I have found one as well and mine was also ID’d by TheCannonballGuy. PM him and send him the pictures and he can tell you all about it. He also records info about what the general location where these were found in. I’m sure he’d appreciate you PMing him about it.

Thanks my friend for the info! Congrats on your great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread