Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart sank when this showed. I saw it, then quickly remembered the VDI was a loud 80 on the ATpro and figured it was probably just plated.

Stamped 12k GF, with some letters before it that I have yet to make out. The opal (?) is handsome and shines different colors. Cant see it on these pictures, however. For whatever reason, it fogged up when I rinsed it.

EDIT:The stamp is "U (with an arrow running through it) 1/20 - 12k GF"

And a 1943 P war nickel.

20180518_201752.jpg
20180518_201816.jpg

Thanks for checking out my day!

Last edited:
Upvote 10

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring! An opal has a lot of water in it. Try soaking it in distilled water and see if it recovers. As for the 1/20 GF. It's better than your average plating. It means that 1/20 of the weight of your ring is 12K gold.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
A Good one for the display case!! I find a few with nice stones, and still save them.

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring! An opal has a lot of water in it. Try soaking it in distilled water and see if it recovers. As for the 1/20 GF. It's better than your average plating. It means that 1/20 of the weight of your ring is 12K gold.

Thanks. Any tips on restoring this? I wanna get the crust off without doing too much damage. A toothbrush doesn't do it.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An opal is really unforgiving. Pretty soft, and it will absorb any chemical you might use, or the chemical might pull the water out of the stone, leaving you with a dead stone. You might try carefully scraping it with a toothpick, or bamboo skewer ( I like those better, they're a little tougher ). Good luck.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I may, one other thing with opals. They're commonly put in rings as a "doublet", that is, because of their fragility, and opal's occurrence as thin layers in matrix, the opal is capped with clear quartz. If you look at it from the side, and the dome is clear, that's what you have, and in that case you could have it buffed out by a jeweler. If not, good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet that ring will clean up nice, congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread