Lost ring need help . . . OBX North Carolina

BrendanOC

Greenie
Sep 8, 2007
I must first apologize for spamming your site . . . I am trying to get the word out to people like yourselves and am posting the same thread to several parts of your forum as well as to other forums just like it. Thanks for the understanding.

Hello all . . . I did a Google search for a site just like this and got lucky to find a forum on my first click. I am not a treasure hunter/metal detector myself, but you all are. And, I need your help.

Stupidly, I went swimming last Wednesday in the ocean while wearing a family heirloom - a solid gold signet ring with my family crest on it which has been passed down among my family. It was to be given to my newborn son on his 18th birthday just as it was to me. The ring slipped off my finger when I was about 10 feet offshore. I looked for it all week to obviously no avail. I am kind of hoping that if someone were to find it, they would recognize it for what it is and try to find the owner.

The ring is a flat-top, oval-shaped gold signet ring with a long-horned stag carved into the top of it. In the very unlikely occassion that there are any "treasure hunters" here that regularly search in the areas of the Outer Banks, I would love if you would contact me. Or if anyone on this Forum knows of anywhere else I should post this request, I would be much obliged. I can be reached at [email protected].

This "treasure" means more to me than any other material possession I have.

Thanks in advance.

Brendan O'Connell

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brendan, I'm so sorry about the loss of your ring. I'm not from North Carolina so I can't help, but can offer a few suggestions. First, check the friends and club section and post your message on the North Carolina section. Maybe there is a club member near you who can help with the search. And be prepared to provide specifics - which beach, what day, what time of the day, and approximately where you were in the water. High tide or low tide? Hopefully you are also posting on other boards - thetreasuredepot.com is one that you should certainly post on. And check their ring daddy page - just in case a picture of your ring shows up.

Also try the newspaper and craig's list and also check your yellow pages to see if there are any Metal detector shops near your city. If there are, stop in and they may be able to give you the names of some reputable hunters.
I'll say a prayer for you.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With hope someone in the area will contact you and give it a try.

Hope it work out. I know you are just sick.

Is there a name in it, or any other way to indentify it?

Most good treasure hunter's will try to return rings.

You may just get into this hobby. Buy a water detector and start hunting.
Good luck
Ken

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumped for Sunday lookers.

Ken

OP
OP
B

BrendanOC

Greenie
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks all. Have already been contacted by some guys in the area where the ring was lost who may be headed that way. From what I understand, the ensuing storm may stir the ring to the surface of the sand.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading to Nags Head on Friday. Where in OBX were you when you lost it?

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*bump*

so sorry about your ring, hope someone from TNet or another forum can help!!!

OP
OP
B

BrendanOC

Greenie
Sep 8, 2007
Would you believe this ring was found after a ten-minute search!!?? Thanks to all of the "Pirates" involved in getting it back for me. It means more than you will ever know.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BrendanOC said:
Would you believe this ring was found after a ten-minute search!!?? Thanks to all of the "Pirates" involved in getting it back for me. It means more than you will ever know.

That's fantastic. Can you post a picture?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you say it was in 10 feet of water? Was it found washed up on the beach? Or was it still pretty much at 10 feet?

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Totally cool. So glad this had the happiest of endings and you got your family herloom back. Congrats Brendan!!

Smiles!
BDoo

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Congrats on getting your ring back. I'm happy for you!!!!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
BrendanOC said:

Must'a been ol' grub, that guy can smell gold from the other coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions