Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

While I love my Deus inland and my trusty CTX on the coast, I decided to drink the koolaid and pick up the equinox 800. Definitely need a few more hours before replacing the CTX as my water machine, but I can honestly say I never would have dug this killer relics without the NOX...reason being the NOX hits a solid 15 on deep iron that I would have certainly walked over with the CTX's unmistakable target ID. So full disclosure...digging this sucker was a fluke :laughing7:. I'm sure after a while I'll be able to hear out the deep iron, but I'm thrilled with this one for sure. The first target with the new machine

20180518_193546.jpg

I've been developing the history on this site for some time. Nearly 3 years of hitting the same dirt has painted the picture of a continental picket post or lookout. The first targets were modest, but promising...assorted .69/.75 caliber round balls

20180520_134632.jpg

After a few years of persistence the buttons starting showing up...first 3 blank/polished down American made pewters...then a French made lottery coat button...and finally my first USA.

20180520_134747.jpg

This is the part of the hobby that I love, reconstructing the history of a site that has never been documented. Happy to say that after lots of iron restoration over the years I was prepared to save this cannonball. Tannic acid in the low country swamps has a way of destroying these solid iron pieces if not cared for perfectly. Took a few days in the electrolysis tank, followed by an acetone bath/3 hours baking at 350 degrees to purge the water. While the iron was hot, I sealed it with a combination of breewax and microcrystalline wax.

20180519_201627.jpg 20180520_134938.jpg

The ball has a diameter of 3.16 and weighs in slightly over 4lbs. Here's a look at a French 4PDR field cannon in the Armed Forces History, National Museum of American History. This field cannon was characterized by a high degree of mobility on the battlefield. The two large wheels attached to a carriage which allowed commanders to position the gun in the field. The trajectory of a field cannon is flat -- essentially, the cannon fires in the direction it is pointed.

827_l.jpg

That about covers it- from musket balls to a cannonball, can't wait to see what that dirt turns up next. Thanks for looking and good luck out there.

20180520_134719.jpg

Upvote 32

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds and post.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find large iron near salt water, I first knock what rust I can off with a tack hammer, then let the item sit in water, which is changed weekly for sometimes a couple months until the salt leaches out. An aquarium hydrometer will tell when the salt is gone. Otherwise, in 10 years you'll have a pile of rust.

Great advice-thanks

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery Jon, and a very nice start with the Equinox. Nice job with the preservation also. Let me know when the tide forecast is right and I'll tow the jon boat down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, salt is a killer. I did this method with a forged iron loop and shank from an ancient cannon two years ago and its' in great shape. I sometimes polyurethan them when totally dry.

I'll definitely try that on the next one, I've considered poly but like the natural look of wax.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the find!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great saves! Excellent post. I appreciate you taking the time to share the whole story. Kudos.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds man. That button is killer and that cannonball is awesome as bewell. We'll get back out soon once life slows down a bit for me.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice-thanks

I've found several cannonballs below the low tide line which have been exposed to the salt water for at least 200 years. For those I've had to soak them in fresh water for a minimum of 2 years and then hit them with the electrolysis for a couple months to ensure that they don't deteriorate. It's a time intensive process but well worth the effort!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found several cannonballs below the low tide line which have been exposed to the salt water for at least 200 years. For those I've had to soak them in fresh water for a minimum of 2 years and then hit them with the electrolysis for a couple months to ensure that they don't deteriorate. It's a time intensive process but well worth the effort!

Definitely having second thoughts with this one, think I did everything I could to dehydrate it and seal the exterior, but there is likely salt remnants inside. I'll be keeping a close eye on it, may need to bake it again to remove the wax and then follow yours/smokey's advice on a long soak

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread