First Barber!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Got out this weekend to several sites I had hit before with the Etrac. This time I turned Fast Recovery "On" and decreased the sensitivity from 27 to 18. Why? Well most of these places have ridiculous EMI and I have to turn the sensitivity down just to be able to detect without going crazy.

This move seems to have paid off. Found several wheats including 1909 (no mint mark), 3 silver mercs, one Rosie and my first Barber! a 1908 D. Not in bad shape either.

On the Etrac I have noticed the following when it comes to silver dimes. Mercs and Rosies will ring up with that fluty Minelab silver tone that most of the time, if you hear it, you know its not just a deep wheat, its probably silver. 12-45 all day. With the seated dime I found earlier this year and this Barber today, I was not expecting them to be silvers when beeping them because they not only did not sound like a silver dime (rather just a coin of some sort) and rang up 12-43/12-44 which are clad dime/copper penny readings. Don't get me wrong, I was very happy when they popped out of the dirt but I would have thought they would ring up a bit higher considering they are silver. They were in different places, so different dirt but both were about 5 inches, not on edge either. Thoughts?

All in all, a great weekend!

Keep swinging.

Best,
Hunter

IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0597.JPG IMG_0598.JPG

Upvote 29

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the Barber, they don't make em like that now, beautiful coin

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrat's on a great hunt. Five silver's is indeed a good day! I have found that you get the nice "flutey" sound when there is no competing signals from other metals nearby....I have heard the "flutey" sound on plenty of seated & Barbers. I think the coins orientation in the ground can also affect the sound........JMHO! :icon_scratch:

Iowa Dale

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pass a twinkie if that popped out on me

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
This makes sense to me as I believe there were other competing targets when I pulled both coins, whether it be iron nail or some other trash. I can't remember how many silvers come out of the hole with nails. Did people just carry out silver coins and nails in their pockets? haha.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that beautiful Barber and your first Trifecta (Rosie, Merc and Barber all in one day). I've never scored a Trifecta day so that's Awesome! Barber and Seated ALWAYS ring up a little lower on the E-Trac, and worn Mercs will too, it's only the newer ones or very good condition ones that ring up the typical Minelab 45/46.

Congrats again!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice finds! I find those older silver dimes ring up lower. I generally find they are a bit more worn than the newer Dimes so I figured because they are slightly smaller/less dense then that's why they ring up lower.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot how many times I said this on here. Don't over think it, forget the numbers & dig more. I've had a silver hammered the size of a dollar ring up below 10. (Nail range) I have NEVER trusted no.s on any machine I used. As soon as you start digging numbers your best finds will drop off.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver. Seems the adjustments you made paid off. Congrats.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy hearing the technique points in recounting a find, not just the results. Thanks for taking us through how you worked your site and MD. Congrats on a very nice day indeed! :occasion14:

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a beautiful ! Congrats!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed this....when silver cans are tarnished such as yours,the Garrett PP will not react to it until VERY close. I’ve dug 4-5 tarnished silver coins that all did the same thing,and could be a reason why your Barber read slightly lower. When in a site that has produced silver,an old site or the target is deep,I’ll allow the numbers to be off a couple of numbers. Usually,I’ll allow more leeway the deeper it gets. But a good rule is...as long as the tone is close and repeats,and it seems like the size of a coin...dig.
I understand Crusaders point,but coin hunting in the USA and coin hunting in England are two very different things. With the amount of conductive trash we have here in parks,schools and even private properties,we NEED to employ the tools the machine has. If we DONT,it will be a VERY long day.
Congrats on the Barber! One of many to come...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions