DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
IMG_5859.JPG

Flava Flav was right. 911 is a joke in my town [emoji53]

I went out last night to get some detecting in and went to the park that is under construction where I've found older coins. They still aren't done but the fence was open so I figure that's an invitation. Pull my car up, get out and start getting my stuff. As I'm doing that, a guy across the street is watching me but he goes in the house. It's a nice night. No problem.

In I go. As soon as I go in he comes back out of the house and stands there looking into the park. I don't have my headlamp on yet so he can't see me but something strikes me as odd about this. Anyways, I start digging my first signal and now have my red light on when I see a flash of light in the corner of my eye. He's called the cops and it's two cruisers shining their spot lights around. I'm thinking "You have got to be kidding me!"

They weren't very good with the lights because they weren't seeing me but since I can't get to my car and I figure I'm not really doing anything wrong I signal them with my light so they can stop disrupting the neighbourhood.
The cop asks what I'm doing. "Metal Detecting".
After making the amazing leap of logic that metal detector means homeless she asks if I live in my car (my two month old 2018 Equinox [emoji848])? I have to admit, I didn't know how to respond to that stupid a question so all I say in No.
Here is where it gets interesting and where I find myself a little boxed in. She tells me they received a call about someone yelling at a house and threatening to punch someone in the face. I haven't talked to anyone so I tell her that. It's pretty clear this guy has called the cops on me and to get them out has made up a conversation that never happened. After talking with her a bit, it's clear I'm getting run off and that's fine but I suggest to her that they need to do something about someone who is calling in what amounts to a SWATTING call. You just know they won't and that's ok. I will be back to this park and the lesson for me is I'm going to have to wear my Go Pro and when he does it again, I'll make sure charges are pressed. Sad that even has to be planned...

Not wanting to go home empty handed, I head out to another park a good distance from that one. Not a ton to show for it but Karma did come around a little. Dig a 77 signal and the flap had this in it.
IMG_5856.JPG
I think it's gold (clasps are gone). The funny thing is this was pure dumb luck because the signal I was digging was a 6" iron disc and this thing barely registers on the pinpointer.
IMG_5857.JPG
So I found a little gold, a few coins and a lot of Crazy.
HH
Dig

Upvote 30

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that done to me at local neighborhood parks , metro parks and on public school playgrounds when they're closed on Sundays. Reality is.... when someone sees you digging they're going think your destroying the property and call you in. May of us hunt on ground under the assumption it's ok... But most of the time it's not. Example ; After dark hunting here where I live on any public ground, park or school is illegal. I found that our the hard way. I feel your pain... Sometimes it's smarter just to shake it off and go elsewhere. I've lost many good spots close to me because of crazy people or dog walkers who think I'm out just to dig holes for them to trip in... Crap we detectorist just can't catch a break sometimes... lol.

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your situation...one of these days, after crying "wolf" one too many times, dude will actually be in a situation where someone IS yelling and threatening to punch him in his face...and 5-0 will be like "O him..again". Some people simply aren't happy until they're miserable. Good find on your chain, great save! Ddf.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about the hassle, many of us have lived through similar situations. Seems like you handled it well. I for one do not hunt in the dark. The parks in my area close at dark and also if you are out in the woods, that's when the nocturnal critters are out to feed. With the opioide epidemic I rather have good vision and hunt during daylight. "Stay alert - stay alive.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a shame being run off like that; GoPro is a great idea too. Same spot, same parking, just turn your camera on before you even get out, do your best to make sure the swatter does not see it and go MDing. Remember when this one happened and make sure when you press charges that you file you FOIA for both 911 calls.

Court will certainly want to know if they followed up with the complainant.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DTC, gotta be honest with ya here.

Speaking for myself: Going to detect a park in a populated area, at night,
and having my attention locked onto the swinging coil in front of me while pretty
much deaf from the headphones...is a potential disaster in the making.

Whether we like it, or not, there are indeed some people in this world that
won't hesitate to harm you and then take your possessions. These people
are often drug users, and they'll hide/camp out in the darker parts of a public
park, at night. Much as it stinks, they are addicts and generally are not to
particular about where/how they get money for more drugs.

Them seeing someone wandering around the park metal detecting using a headlamp
is like a hungry wolf having a fat rabbit standing in right front of it.

I guess my point is there's no sense putting yourself in harm's way when there
are safer spots to go to. I'm not against nighttime detecting at all...but am
real particular where I do it.

As for that homeowner and the bonehead cop...well, welcome to the new America.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
I've had that done to me at local neighborhood parks , metro parks and on public school playgrounds when they're closed on Sundays. Reality is.... when someone sees you digging they're going think your destroying the property and call you in. May of us hunt on ground under the assumption it's ok... But most of the time it's not. Example ; After dark hunting here where I live on any public ground, park or school is illegal. I found that our the hard way. I feel your pain... Sometimes it's smarter just to shake it off and go elsewhere. I've lost many good spots close to me because of crazy people or dog walkers who think I'm out just to dig holes for them to trip in... Crap we detectorist just can't catch a break sometimes... lol.

Oh well. I moved parks and all was good.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Sorry to hear about your situation...one of these days, after crying "wolf" one too many times, dude will actually be in a situation where someone IS yelling and threatening to punch him in his face...and 5-0 will be like "O him..again". Some people simply aren't happy until they're miserable. Good find on your chain, great save! Ddf.

That is a shame being run off like that; GoPro is a great idea too. Same spot, same parking, just turn your camera on before you even get out, do your best to make sure the swatter does not see it and go MDing. Remember when this one happened and make sure when you press charges that you file you FOIA for both 911 calls.

Court will certainly want to know if they followed up with the complainant.

The guy lives in a house that is across the street from a park? What's he going to do when the park construction is finished and recreation resumes?
Some people really need to mind their own buisness.

People tend to get what they deserve in the end. I might not have the satisfaction of delivering it but who knows. Some have said I deserved the swatting for hunting at night (it was 9:30pm) but it could just as easily have been 6:00pm or noon. For that reason alone, I will go back. Nobody should dictate unilaterally what happens at a park.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Sorry to hear about the hassle, many of us have lived through similar situations. Seems like you handled it well. I for one do not hunt in the dark. The parks in my area close at dark and also if you are out in the woods, that's when the nocturnal critters are out to feed. With the opioide epidemic I rather have good vision and hunt during daylight. "Stay alert - stay alive.

DTC, gotta be honest with ya here.

Speaking for myself: Going to detect a park in a populated area, at night,
and having my attention locked onto the swinging coil in front of me while pretty
much deaf from the headphones...is a potential disaster in the making.

Whether we like it, or not, there are indeed some people in this world that
won't hesitate to harm you and then take your possessions. These people
are often drug users, and they'll hide/camp out in the darker parts of a public
park, at night. Much as it stinks, they are addicts and generally are not to
particular about where/how they get money for more drugs.

Them seeing someone wandering around the park metal detecting using a headlamp
is like a hungry wolf having a fat rabbit standing in right front of it.

I guess my point is there's no sense putting yourself in harm's way when there
are safer spots to go to. I'm not against nighttime detecting at all...but am
real particular where I do it.

As for that homeowner and the bonehead cop...well, welcome to the new America.

Hi Loco and Dizzy,

I prefer hunting in the dark. Generally there are less busybodies (plus doesn't take time from kids). The parks close in my area at 11pm. This was 9:30pm and I've been to this park a dozen times without a problem and because of the way the park is set up feel quite safe. I don't even object to being run off. What I objected to was the manner of the call. That is what is dangerous and unfortunately could have been done day or night.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
You were asking for it hunting at night. No surprise at all. Gary

Would I have been asking for a swatting if it had been earlier than 8:30pm as opposed to the 9:30pm time I was out? What is surprising is your apologist response to the harassment of someone MDing. Sad really.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
People tend to get what they deserve in the end. I might not have the satisfaction of delivering it but who knows. Some have said I deserved the swatting for hunting at night (it was 9:30pm) but it could just as easily have been 6:00pm or noon. For that reason alone, I will go back. Nobody should dictate unilaterally what happens at a park.

Negative, no Sir. There is not one person who deserves such false calls.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obviously the guy that called the cops on you likely has no friends and is living a miserable life. I'm glad you were rewarded with some good karma. MDing at night isn't my thing but you weren't breaking any rules. Good thing those cops didnt overeact like cops in the US often do, like mistaking your machine as a weapon.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Obviously the guy that called the cops on you likely has no friends and is living a miserable life. I'm glad you were rewarded with some good karma. MDing at night isn't my thing but you weren't breaking any rules. Good thing those cops didnt overeact like cops in the US often do, like mistaking your machine as a weapon.

Hahahaha! I didn't signal them with my light until I had safely stowed and zipped my Lesche inside finds bag...

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy your local teenagers beer, eggs and toilet paper, and tell them the man in the house thinks hockey is a sissy sport

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i lived in Phoenix, the parks came alive at night. The ones i went too were well lit and had all kinds of activities going on. I never felt unsafe but i would not go to a park at night alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread