Crazy day at the coinstar!

washingtonian jr

Apr 23, 2011
Seattle, Washington
What’s up everyone!

I went to the grocery store late last night to pick up a few things and checked the coinstar like usual. It was only 15 minutes until close so I assumed someone had already picked it clean. Boy was I wrong!

This was the fullest I have ever seen a coinstar in my life. The coins were almost overflowing out the tray. It probably took 7-8 handfuls to fill my pockets.

I get home to see if I had anything old but no luck.
The weird thing is, I only found maybe 25 cents of American stuff, the rest was foreign. There were several euro dollars, a couple $2 Canadian coins, $5 pesos, pence, rupees, you name it. I’m assuming it’s all worth about $10 worth of US currency.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526936929.713621.jpg

I honestly have no idea how the person putting their change in didn’t see how much they missed!

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
usually foreign coins are not worth that much in the U.S.A but nice finds

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
oh sorry my bad its been a long day i am tired

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yes they do

OP
OP
washingtonian jr

washingtonian jr

Apr 23, 2011
Seattle, Washington
How can you convert those foreign coins to US currency without losing value?

I did a google search of the USD currency to different countries. For example, $1 Canadian is 77 US cents, or $5 Mexican pesos are 25 US cents. Not saying I’m gonna actually turn it in for US money, just curious to how much it’s all worth.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
When I find foreign coins, I don't really expect to cash them in, as these days most bank branches a) have ignorant employees who would not know the first thing about such a process b) due to the fact you have to go find a main bank where they may actually have a process to do so.

Last year I went to the local pizza joint, and when paying, I noticed a bunch of shiny weird coins in one space of the cash drawer. I asked what they were, and they turned out to be Jamaican 5-dollar coins. I asked if I could buy them, and the guy was not sure. I looked up the exchange rate and found each one was worth something ridiculous like 2 cents each. I showed it to the guy on my cell phone and he said he would ask the manager. A few days later I got hungry for pizza again and went in there (having forgotten entirely about the coins) and the guy said "Yes, the manager says I can sell them to you". Out of the original five, there were three left.

I have a rather large ziploc bag full of about a pound of foreign change I have accumulated in my lifetime.

One coin is pretty rare, a late 20s .720 silver 1/4 Quetzal worth about 50 bucks. I have gotten them all just from friends, or chance encounters in convenience stores, etc.

Nice haul on the Coinstar. That is an incredible find! :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW, that is a killer load of Coinstar coins! :occasion14:

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the machine might have regurgitated them

I found one once and I filled two pockets full of coins and there was still more coming out of the machine - it was like it was emptying its guts to me

OP
OP
washingtonian jr

washingtonian jr

Apr 23, 2011
Seattle, Washington
I think the machine might have regurgitated them

I found one once and I filled two pockets full of coins and there was still more coming out of the machine - it was like it was emptying its guts to me

Oh maybe! I never thought about that. There were so many coins from all over it would be surprising if it came from one person.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you will be taking a lot of vacations to spend all that foreign money !

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
since foreign coins are not cashed out by us banks --only paper bills for the most part are "exchanged" -- foreign coins as a rule are though of as "useless" in the USA -- ah not so says I --- I live in a small town in northern fla --that has a lot of long haul truckers that run to Canada quite regularly --so the local coin star gets lots of rejected canadain coins --which I collected until I had 50 bucks worth * I then went online and found a canadain coin store that sold us silver coins --filled out and printed the order form --used the canadain coins to pay the bill and return postage back to me --spent 6 bucks to mail it in us funds -- when I got the silver in --I sold enough silver to recover my 6 bucks "invested" --the rest was all "free silver"...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread