Man...Stumped again.

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart almost leapt out of my chest when I found a dirty ring with 18K written on the inside. It turned out to be only brass, but it still has a pretty cool story, though. Rings like these were sold by conmen in the 19th century in rural areas. They were made of brass and polished a whole lot to look like gold, and were sold to the people who couldn’t afford real gold rings. This could also be from the CW era when soldiers would have any precious metals taken and were given replacements, like these, due to the fact that they didn’t want it to fall into enemy hands. Shucks. Mabey next time it will be gold.
image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 11

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I have one I found at a CW site and can only imagine what a lose it must have been for the poor soldier that was far from home. Makes me wonder if that's all he lost.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe it wasn't dropped or lost,maybe it was buried.Soldiers going into battle sometimes buried their valuables and or personal items.In the hand to hand combat of a thousand years ago,it was done then and probably still done today.A thousand years ago a common soldier going into combat knew he was a deadman.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to see some documentation that soldiers valuables were taken and replaced with fakes. Where did you hear that? Gary

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to see some documentation that soldiers valuables were taken and replaced with fakes. Where did you hear that? Gary

I would like to see some also. I'd believe the crooked salesman story first.

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found one just like that two days ago i know it was brass right away and didnt see the 18K stamp till i got home 1526851927284-1037305402.jpg 1526851751507219047303.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread