"A Tale of Two Wars!"

May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
While on a recent dig at Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, I found a 13 star World War 2 Army issue pants button, dropped in 1941, only a foot away from the Civil War 3 ring "Minie" Ball fired in 1864!

In itself the WWII button is not a valuable relic as they made millions during the war BUT..... why was it on a Civil War battlefield?

The second relic I dug was a .58 Minie Ball..... fired during the Battle of Pleasant Hill on April 9th, 1864..... often found on Civil War battlefields so should be there!

On April 9th, 1864, the Union "blue" fought a defensive battle against the Confederate "gray" at the Battle of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana.... hundreds were killed on this now sacred grounds!

After doing some research I found, in September of 1941, Gen. Patton's U.S. "Red Team" fought Gen. Ike's U.S. "Blue Team" in what was later called the "Louisiana Maneuvers"..... a practice fight for the readiness of the Army for WWII!

These two battles were fought on the same "Hallowed Grounds" at Pleasant Hill, Louisiana.... one in 1864, the other in 1941!

I'm sure some of the soldiers in 1941 were fighting on the same "Hallowed Grounds" that their ancestors fought during the Civil War!

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool finds, gotta love the history! awesome site

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread