Digging for gold can be exciting! Then again, can my heart take it

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of you know, I found my first Gold coin and gold ring combo a few weeks ago while specifically looking for gold. I guess I am still on that high because a pretty good rain this weekend got me pumped for perfect ground conditions this morning!

So, right out of the car, I set the impact to 20 khz and VLX2 mode and hit the grass looking for gold again. After only a few feet the detector hit a small area with several mid and high tone signals. Several pull tabs and zink pennies later, this popped out of the ground.

earrings5.jpg earrings3.jpg

No, not gold but a good sign that jewelry was lurking in the depths!

Finally! After two hours of digging pull tabs, can slaw and clad coins in the zink and nickel range I got two signals very close to each other. Both rang up as mid tones and I suspected a nickel or pull tab. 4 inches down the glint of gold caught my eye. Not only did I see gold, but I saw diamonds as well. What I thought was some kind of broach or pin, turned out to be a biggie sized earring! One half inch by one half inch in size!

earrings3.jpg earrings4.jpg

WOW! What a feeling!

But wait! There were 2 signals only inches apart! A quick scan with the detector confirmed the other signal and 20 seconds later, the glimmer of gold reached out from the hole and stopped me cold!

earrings5.jpg

Yes, a matching set! I could not believe what I was looking at!

Anyhow, after 2.5 hours of hunting, I packed up my stuff and headed home to clean up my finds and find the markings on the earrings.
Here are pictures of them cleaned up.

Earrings.jpg earrings10.jpg earrings4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 17

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ammo you are killing it!!!! Was it at a park?
So is 20khz the way to go for gold? I wonder if it would be the same on the equinox. I found those two gold rings last week one hit like a perfect nickel and one a perfect penny. I have the fever myself but it seems like it never happens when I’m looking for it.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol hang on truth...its taking me forever to get this thing posted... more to come..pictures are giving me a rough time.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Real or not they are very beautiful! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ammo you are killing it!!!! Was it at a park?
So is 20khz the way to go for gold? I wonder if it would be the same on the equinox. I found those two gold rings last week one hit like a perfect nickel and one a perfect penny. I have the fever myself but it seems like it never happens when I’m looking for it.

Yes it was at a park next to a basketball court. I still have lots of signals to go around the court so maybe something real will pop up soon. I have been playing with the different settings on my detector and when set to 20 khz the sound of gold jewelry sounds way better and smother. I can pick up the gold in the other frequencies but it sounds more like trash and is more scratchy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real or not they are very beautiful! :occasion14:

I agree 100 percent. Just to be sure, i will be taking them to be tested sometime this week. They just came out of the ground too clean and shiny not to be real. Then again, gold filled is still better than gold electroplate.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering, do your earrings have stainless or gold posts? Solid gold earrings always have gold posts. Gold earrings are often marked in tiny letters on the post itself.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info, No, the posts are stainless and one broke off when i tried to straighten it up.

Ok, no need to have them tested...I am positive its gold plate. I see some flaking on the side with my magnifying glass.

LOL sometimes i really hate bling.

IMG_2862.JPG IMG_2858.JPG

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it was at a park next to a basketball court. I still have lots of signals to go around the court so maybe something real will pop up soon. I have been playing with the different settings on my detector and when set to 20 khz the sound of gold jewelry sounds way better and smother. I can pick up the gold in the other frequencies but it sounds more like trash and is more scratchy

Makes sense I’m gonna go play with the 800 and see. Beautiful finds Ammo

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ok! The bling sting (I told you I would be using that phrase!) just means you are in the right spot. Next hunt, you'll hit the real stuff.

The park is pretty big and used frequently so i know their is gold. Its just a matter of getting the coil over it and digging the signal.

Makes sense I’m gonna go play with the 800 and see. Beautiful finds Ammo

I would be curious to here what you find. My son is getting the 800 very soon. Can you put some gold under the coil in Multi IQ and then maybe in some single frequency settings to see if their is a difference in sound?

Happens to the best of us. Move on soldier we’ll get’em tommorow :)

LOL yep...one hole at a time!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are becoming the best Impact detectorist in North Carolina.

LOL i may be the only Impact Detectorist in NC. Lots of good machines out there and most would find what i have found if the operator chooses to dig the target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread