The Potato Field - Day 3 - Hammered & 16th-17th C GOLD RING.......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankfully we had the rain I was hoping for & although it was meant to rain all day it didn't.:icon_thumright:
We had a quick 30 minutes hunt on a nearby field & gave that one up as a bad option. We then returned to gridding the Potato Field. It was a slow start & we soon had to move as the weeds were too high. I moved us to an area I liked, on our 1st day scouting, & on that first run Cru'dad bangs out a hammered. Great we are back in the game. (Keeping a streak alive)
By lunchtime our good finds were a little light & we thought it was going to be a lesser day.....Until I decided to wander a little past the last flag turn-a-round point whilst waiting for Cru'dad to catch me up. (Normally I just finish his runs for him) As I was trying to work out if this end was worth doing I didn't do a straight line (Because we might be going back over it) & I just fumbled onto the GOLD RING.:headbang:
(5 hour hunt)

2 Scrappies
17th C Token
18th C Navy Button
Medieval Horse Pendant
Spanish 8 Maravedis (Counter-marked 1630 on rev)
Hammered of Ed I Bury St Edmund's mint (Only my 3rd of this mint)
What I believe to be a late 16th - early 17th C 22ct Gold Seal Ring with some kind of early hallmark/makers mark.:occasion18: This must be very high status, as using the 3 Lions would require Royal Approval.:thumbsup: It will be handed in as treasure very soon.

UPDATED
It's now been handed over to the FLO. They will email the British Museum to either treat as a Treasure case or 'if' less than 300 years old, it will go down the PAS route.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Upvote 61
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular ring Cru.

What do you make of the crest being sideways when worn? Seems like it would make sense for something like a wax seal ring but wouldn't a standard signet ring have had that turned 90 degrees?
Honestly I don't know enough about it, but I will be researching more.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a wonderful ring. My banner vote is in....

Reading your response on the Coroner, Flo, Independent valuation Committee...what if you wanted to keep the ring? Would you have to bid on it to keep it?

I've found many beautiful gold rings here on the west coast but nothing like this. Kept them all over the years and enjoy showing & sharing the stories with friends.

Is this not a ring that you might keep in your personal collection?

Looking forward to future post on what developes :)

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banner vote is in on that ring! Great finds!

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you said you found another right like it before ?

was it purchased by a museum? returned to the family ? just curious - it amazes me how much ya'll know about the items you find

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are just amazing! what an awesome find, not that the others weren't but Holy Cow! it is in pristine condition too! yes, the craftsmanship is amazing! congrats on such a spectacular find! Totally unbelievable!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations for finding the gold ring-that's a fantastic find, even for you!

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who on earth did that gold ring belong to? A very rare find. BANNER vote !!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you said you found another right like it before ?

was it purchased by a museum? returned to the family ? just curious - it amazes me how much ya'll know about the items you find
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...rter-stater-field-day-5-16th-c-gold-ring.html
The British Museum valued it at 2500 & decided to hand it back as no Museum wanted it. We sold it for 4200 & split the money 50/50 with the land-owner who put it towards a new shotgun.
We tried to attribute a family, but all we could speculate was that it had a Scottish Royal connection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a wonderful ring. My banner vote is in....

Reading your response on the Coroner, Flo, Independent valuation Committee...what if you wanted to keep the ring? Would you have to bid on it to keep it?

I've found many beautiful gold rings here on the west coast but nothing like this. Kept them all over the years and enjoy showing & sharing the stories with friends.

Is this not a ring that you might keep in your personal collection?

Looking forward to future post on what developes :)

I have no choice to keep it UNTIL the British Museum on behalf of the Crown dis-own their interest in it. At which point, its returned to me (if no dispute exists between the land-owner & finder) & I have to settle whatever agreement I have with the Land-owners. In my contact it states that they are entitled to 50% of its value minus any costs. I have an emotional attachment to most historic objects/coins but for reasons I can't explain, I'm less attached to Rings. Which is good because I can't afford to buy out the owners 50% share. Therefore, the only fair thing to do is sell it & split the money.
I'm much more interested in finding out the history of the rings owner than the money.(even though I don't have any spare money)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED
It's now been handed over to the FLO. They will email the British Museum to either treat as a Treasure case or 'if' less than 300 years old, it will go down the PAS route.

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the FLO have an opinion on the age or origin ??

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the FLO have an opinion on the age or origin ??
What do you think?:thumbsup:

They said they had seen similar & then said, oh yes that was you.....

Its possible given the research Dad & I have done that because the Lions are Passant only & not passant guardant (head facing out) then it might be French. Another clue is the Star (5 or 6 pointed) was used by the English & the French. If English the 'Brown' family have a similar coat of arms but not a match yet.

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you have such awesome history to dig and recover. We are spoiled here as for the most part in most areas, we get to keep our finds. it does sound like a royal pain in the butt in what you have to do and go thru with finds like these. So you are totally at the mercy of the museum and the land owners. in one way, I understand the reasons for this but it still has to be challenging to give up some of the spectacular finds that you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread