Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went everywhere and dug everywhere over the weekend. First couple spots produced a wad of colonial items. I still have to get pics of those.

The last spot of the day yesterday was an unknown in the woods. Besides getting a tick, the area is rich in history along a major river. I had fond a place to access the river (it was kinda creepy back there), and dug the usual garbage and some nice 18th and 19th century buttons. I did not find any musket balls but believe I found an old homestead.

I had not intended on staying long due to the trash. I had used my Cibola. It hadn't been out playing much lately. I got a huge dig me I'm trash signal and out popped this large dandy button with a shank. I never remember to bring a camera with me, basically I don't want to ruin a $400 camera, so no in situ pics, basically I never get around to that and flip the thing over and see something on it, but it's caked in wet mud.

It gets thrown in the pouch and this morning I dig it and the other stuff out. And fall over when the mud starts coming off!

It's a George Washington Inaugural button, and if I wanted to dig one, this is the one I would have preferred to dig!

It's the "GW with linked states". Used for the 1789 inauguration, it is/was about the last thing on my bucket list! All the detail and the shank are there. The soil is very, very mild there.

Yowsers! I'll have to clean up the other stuff later tonight, one button has an anchor and eagle on it.

Wish I could call in mentally ill and go back today, but have to calm down and go to work. I'll try some renaissance wax on it to see if the detail can me made more visible, but it's all there!

View attachment IMG_1001.jpg IMG_1002.JPG

Can you spell "excited"?

Here it is cleaned a little more with some wax. View attachment IMG_1003.jpg I need to take better pics when I'm no so hyped!

Last edited:
Upvote 118

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a beautiful GWI button. I think that's one of the better designs - reminds me of Chain Cents & Fugios. Impressive condition with sharp detail. Perfect shank. I'd be smiling in my sleep with a find like that. Voting banner.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on an awesome find! It's beautiful and you did not over clean it.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing those never gets old. Congratulations! Digging a GW button would be amazing! :occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Smokey, hope it wasn't a Deer Tick. I've one two months old still itching, kept calming down and coming back - was itching again yesterday. Taped a clove of garlic over the bite a week ago and it calmed down. Came back again today - next I'm going to tape an onion slice to it for a day.

The worst bite I've ever received, I taped a whole onion slice on it for 24 hours and it went away forever - just now checked to make sure.

No bullseyes yet in my little world - that's when you have to be concerned. Had 19 bites my first year on the farm - miserable experience. I'm going with onion from now on. So far this year I've had seven bites. Those little buggers are fast and stealth!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker ADS it was a very small dog tick. I got him pretty quick. It's amazing how any of the bites will itch for weeks. I just scratch them a bit and they stop. Thinking about it now, I was getting pretty far away from the public areas, I won't do that by myself again. There are old trails all through the woods out there, I was only a few feet off a trail. Beach season now!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Smokey! That is a beautiful GW button. Wow.

You don't look so good, you might ought to call in sick today, and get some "rest". I know I would.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey that is one awesome find. I’m so glad that I got to see it with that much detail. You cleaned it up and the little bit of wax makes it look so good. I’m sure you’ll be shopping for a nice display case for it now. Congratulations on a spectacular find.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carolina Tom, I came home early yesterday. Found a hornets nest at the house and killed them this am. From the picture, I just got wet cat food in my fur. Nothing big. Hawk88, one coat of wax did ok, I may add another. The detail is sharp on it. It depends a lot on the soil.

My 9 year old Tesoro Cibola still rocks!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, when the cat is on the prowl, she finds some very awesome stuff! You don't just find one awesome find that makes people drool badly but you manage to "again" find several! Totally Sweet! Congrats again for the Awesomeness!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Sir! If I was going to dig one GWI, it would be that one! They don't come out of the ground much nicer than that :thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirtlooter there are plenty of times I come back with very little. I guess not doing parks helps as they have been hit before and most of my best stuff has been blow your ears off hits.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stunning! Simply STUNNING find Smokey! Get you some Permitherin and go back!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You been on 'Fire' this year , Great Job on the Hard Work. It paid off again. Twice.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning save once again, Smokey. Nice.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my banner vote. That is the nicest looking GW I’ve seen in a while. Drooling with envy. Great finds!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coilygirl that doesn’t work on poisonous snakes which are abundant there. I must have been an idiot to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions