Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went everywhere and dug everywhere over the weekend. First couple spots produced a wad of colonial items. I still have to get pics of those.

The last spot of the day yesterday was an unknown in the woods. Besides getting a tick, the area is rich in history along a major river. I had fond a place to access the river (it was kinda creepy back there), and dug the usual garbage and some nice 18th and 19th century buttons. I did not find any musket balls but believe I found an old homestead.

I had not intended on staying long due to the trash. I had used my Cibola. It hadn't been out playing much lately. I got a huge dig me I'm trash signal and out popped this large dandy button with a shank. I never remember to bring a camera with me, basically I don't want to ruin a $400 camera, so no in situ pics, basically I never get around to that and flip the thing over and see something on it, but it's caked in wet mud.

It gets thrown in the pouch and this morning I dig it and the other stuff out. And fall over when the mud starts coming off!

It's a George Washington Inaugural button, and if I wanted to dig one, this is the one I would have preferred to dig!

It's the "GW with linked states". Used for the 1789 inauguration, it is/was about the last thing on my bucket list! All the detail and the shank are there. The soil is very, very mild there.

Yowsers! I'll have to clean up the other stuff later tonight, one button has an anchor and eagle on it.

Wish I could call in mentally ill and go back today, but have to calm down and go to work. I'll try some renaissance wax on it to see if the detail can me made more visible, but it's all there!

View attachment IMG_1001.jpg IMG_1002.JPG

Can you spell "excited"?

Here it is cleaned a little more with some wax. View attachment IMG_1003.jpg I need to take better pics when I'm no so hyped!

Last edited:
Upvote 118
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does have great detail and not all bent up. I think I over cleaned it, but the corrosion wasn't thick on it to begin with.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!! What a find, I envy you back east guys, we can only dream of things like that in this part of the universe. Thanks for sharing.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome button! It would have been worth multiple ticks! Congratulations! Now go back and find his brother!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome, Smokey! What a great day for you! I would probably go ahead and call in sick. :laughing7: You did have a tick. That alone should be good enough.

Congratulations!

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a beauty!

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow super find , congratulations!!!, maybe one these day I'll get to go back east.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrightdigger, it's true I did have a tick bite me!

Here are some more pics of the stuff. The "U" on the keyboard sticks, so if this looks like a 2 year old cat typing, just laugh.

Not pics of everything. Off to work soon.

IMG_1004.jpg The nails, handmade bolt and piece of 17th century bellarmine jug are from site #3.

IMG_1005.JPG Lots of buttons, heavy brass thimble, wooden chest tacks, pewter button, black glass.

IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1005.JPG Can anyone identify this 2 piece with shank navy button? Eagle over anchor. It is a little bent up. Thanks. I'll try for a better pic late tonight or tomorrow. Have to get out the digital microscope for that picture.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, Smokey...NICE!! What a beautiful example, the detail is awesome! Yes, I'd call in sick, heck call in dead! I'd be beatin feet back there, spritz down in Deep Woods Off and dig EVERY signal! Congrats on that excellent save, you certainly earned it. Ddf.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call in dead? How about retired since I'm well over 62 now. Lots of copperheads down there. And far off the road. Not a good place to get into trouble. I was actually way out of my element going there. It is a public place but not a park, so ok to dig but it's wild, overgrown territory.

And that is a buffalo nickel and an arrowhead or drill.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful GW button! The detail is amazing! :notworthy:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks she be purty! I'd like o take it to work and play with it all day, but the way I lose stuff, never mind.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic button-that's my favorite pattern (not like I've found one but I still like it lol) and it is in exceptional condition. Congratulations-my banner vote is in.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks downNdirty. It's amazing no one has even SEEN the little navy button posted with it.:tongue3:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are something else!!! Can't wait to see it. Banner nom in.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's outstanding...definitely didn't over clean it and definitely banner worthy! Great condition!!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing condition!!!! Gonna have to vote banner on this one. Your navy, I think is a federal navy button 1830-1850. Lots of great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread