Megalodon and Great White Shark Tooth Hunting

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Vibra-Tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got a ton of rain here in Florida, so we went to check some of our land sites (dirt roads) for fossils! We were mainly targeting shark teeth, but we also love the invertebrates (shells, coral, shell impressions with calcite crystals, etc). It was a pretty successful trip for the short time we had. For me, there's nothing quite as fun as finding prehistoric treasure. :D We got a great white shark tooth, megalodon teeth, a mako shark tooth, snaggletooth shark tooth, whale bone, calcite crystals, tons of gastropods, etc.

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h40m24s370.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h43m52s547.png

IMG_20180601_153648_045.jpg

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h41m21s493.png

-PaleoCris

Last edited:
Upvote 22

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
really cool; but whyy are the teeth black.

OP
OP
PaleoCris

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Color usually depends on the minerals in the sediment the fossils were deposited it. It is a little unusual that all the shells are light colors, and the bone and teeth are dark, but it definitely makes hunting them on these white roads much easier!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking maybe it was meth... :tongue3:

Very interesting finds -- I tend to try to avoid shark teeth when I dive, but yours are a treasure in their own right - congrats! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
PaleoCris

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa! 😱 Those things are so cool.

OP
OP
PaleoCris

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! �� Those things are so cool.
Thanks Ogre. I certainly think so too, as I'm sure could be heard in my voice in the video! :D It doesn't matter how many I find, just to be able to be the first person to see/find something this old, from creatures that lived that long ago...I love it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Surrounding minerals are responsible. Sometimes a dark tooth lightens up a little as it dries. These look to be pretty freshly out of the clay.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where in Florida? Not many teeth here in Brevard but shells out the wazoo! Never thought of looking on dirt roads. We get shells with crystals on the beach occasionally and some fulgramites.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like a lot of fun to walk on a dirt road through the swamp looking for glossy old shark teeth. Get your couch ready, I'm almost to your house!

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You found some nice ones! I look a bit on the Potomac River (Virginia). Are you on the west coast of FL? I heard of a spot north of Ft Myers where they find them on the beach.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems like a lot of fun to walk on a dirt road through the swamp looking for glossy old shark teeth. Get your couch ready, I'm almost to your house!

Yeah, no kidding right. White road looking for cool black teeth.

OP
OP
PaleoCris

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in Florida? Not many teeth here in Brevard but shells out the wazoo! Never thought of looking on dirt roads. We get shells with crystals on the beach occasionally and some fulgramites.
This is North Central Florida. A small little localized place that took me hours of carefully scanning with Google Earth, marking hundreds of spots, then exploring them each one by one, deleting the mark if it wasn't the right material, or marking it with a check mark if it was the right stuff. Now we just set a route to drive after a good rain and walk the best looking material. Also, love the point in your profile pic. I got a nice 5.75" newnan while digging a private creek for shark teeth a little while back. I may post it here on Treasurenet sometime.

It's definitely a blast...Most of my fossil hunting is in rivers and that can be messed up from rain/flooding...This kind of fossil hunting gets better with rain, so it's nice to have something to look forward to when we get a tropical storm (or subtropical storm Alberto in this case).

You found some nice ones! I look a bit on the Potomac River (Virginia). Are you on the west coast of FL? I heard of a spot north of Ft Myers where they find them on the beach.
I'm right in the North Central part of the state, but I explore all over looking for fossils. To be honest, Florida has far more fossils than most people realize. Tons of beaches you never hear about has fossils, most rivers that aren't too sandy have fossils, the same with creeks and any mines (or sometimes roads).

Yeah, no kidding right. White road looking for cool black teeth.
We've literally spotted good sized teeth while doing 30MPH down these dirt roads because of the color difference...just sticking out like a sore thumb...Why I didn't start recording this stuff years ago, I do not know. Better late than never.

-PaleoCris

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Comments are funny. I would rather find sharks teeth than for them to find me also. Very nice finds.

I do know why sharks circle you with their fin out of the water before they bite you though.

You taste better after they scare the cwap out of you.

Glad I could enlighten all.

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is pretty cool! Love those shark teeth!

OP
OP
PaleoCris

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comments are funny. I would rather find sharks teeth than for them to find me also. Very nice finds.

I do know why sharks circle you with their fin out of the water before they bite you though.

You taste better after they scare the cwap out of you.

Glad I could enlighten all.
I don't know how I've never heard that one. :D

Wow that is pretty cool! Love those shark teeth!
Thanks!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the awesome teeth and other fossils.
One question...
How do you know its a Megalodon tooth?
Looks very small for such a massive predator.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread