The Cellar Hole of Dreams!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still can't believe it happened even though the evidence is sitting right next to me on my desk. Yesterday, my digging buddy, Danny, and myself, along with two other friends(Dave and Jim), hit a couple of cellar holes on a nice cool day in June. It would have been my Father's 85th Birthday. I think he may have been watching the fun. Danny had an unbelievable day and made some GREAT finds. Jim had a great day too with his brand new Deus. You may have already read about Dave's 13th GW! I dug my very FIRST 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button! That's not all. After that, I dug a SECOND George Washington Inaugural! That's still not all. I also dug a fragment of a THIRD GW Button! All three are the Heraldic Eagle with Estoile variety said to be favored by troops who served under General Washington in The Revolutionary War. What a day! 34418010_10211828491571332_5412132467723206656_n.jpg 34345431_10156484626517490_3346391049617539072_n.jpg 34339935_10210444893193565_3367849741315473408_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 47
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once again, just a phenomenal find!! You should have tipped us off a little more in your post title. You'd have gotten a bunch more views and replies... (Not that the number of views or replies validates a find any more or less.. just an observation) Sometimes I'm more selective with the posts I'm checking out if I'm short on time. But I can guarantee you that I've never NOT clicked on a post that mentioned a GW inaugural button. One thing I will almost never click on is a post that in any way mentions the term "honey hole". That's nothing against the term honey hole or anyone who uses it. It's more of a problem I have with the term. I was thinking of seeing a therapist for it but it seems like an odd reason to go see a therapist..... "Cellar hole", on the other hand, is another thing. Cellar hole hunting is definitely my milieu. :thumbsup: Ok, I feel as if I've gotten a bit off topic. My main point, just to sum up, is... AWESOME FIND! :headbang:

I agree that I should have included something to the effect of "First GW Button!" I didn't because there were already a couple of posts trending for GW Buttons and I didn't want to clog the airwaves. I'm sure I would get a few more clicks but that's ok. I'm just glad I found them. I was starting to think that I might not ever find a GW.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
images.png ... was told by an expert they were supposedly sold in 4's
was never told they were big with soldiers - usually if you were in support of GW - you would remove your upper most regular button on
your coat and replace with one to show you were a true Patriot

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pound it then remove 12" of dirt from the entire seller and pound it again!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What amazing finds. I always like to see the buttons, but the GW's are just unreal. Pretty tough to dig one here in the Midwest, but you never know. Maybe some day.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal. This should be called the week of the button.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh Donnie Donnie Donnie....what the hell are you going to have left on the old Lifetime Finds List? You’ve knocked out a bunch of tough ones already. I hope it continues. Congrats on a fantastic hunt with some good fellas

I still have a long list to find so that should keep me busy!

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1599550 ... was told by an expert they were supposedly sold in 4's
was never told they were big with soldiers - usually if you were in support of GW - you would remove your upper most regular button on
your coat and replace with one to show you were a true Patriot

I have also heard about the buttons being sold in sets of four. I was reading Cobb's book last night and he mentioned a couple of instances where five buttons were found together stored in burlap bags. These were found in attics or jewelry boxes which does lend credence to the fact that they were sold in fives. I have also read an account where Washington placed an order for additional buttons so he could trim his coat with eight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread