That Double Silver Plug Was Really A Three Silver Plug..........

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
and it took a few months later and the Explorer to get it. The detecting weekend started Friday, I took out the Explorer for its first real hunt and logged about four hours. Found clad and some wheats. The depth I was getting was great. Next day I meet up with LI TOM and we hit our regular park. Third coin dug was a Rosie that came out of 6 inches even. A while later a second Rosie comes to light from about 3 inches. I also found the small medal pictured.

Tom found some really nice pieces, one in particular I really liked. Heavy non-coin silver, it had some heft to it. Tom knows I'm always hungry for some silver and on Sunday, I couldn't help myself. Took out the Explorer again, and this is where things got interesting. I thought it would be a swing in the park, at a park I have been to before. I pictured the Explorer finding all those good coins I missed with the 250. Not to be so. It was some hard digging in that dry brittle soil. A few wheats here and there along with the clad. And then I found myself near the tree where I had found the double silver quarters in the same plug. I knew exactly which tree it was (Fourth from the row) and could see a very slight indentation where I had dug (I always try my best to cover my tracks). I looked at it and thought, I should swing my coil over it. Sure enough, I get one of those signals where the little box on the graph wants to jump out the screen top/right. I dug and 4 inches further down at close to a seven inch total appears a third roosevelt for the weekend. I had a grin on my face with this one. The explorer in my inexperienced hands is finding me some deep dimes, clad or not, it's fun to dig these dimes to the point you're ready to quit and there they appear, 6 or 6+ inches down. Photos attached.

Attachments

• Sept7to9.JPG
    Sept7to9.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 705
  • Sept7to9_2.JPG
    Sept7to9_2.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 694
Upvote 0

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Way to go, you are doing a lot better with your Explorer than I am with mine. :( :)

I am going with Baldingboy on a serious hunt Wednesday to a known CW site. Hope I can post some CW relic pics then. Good job buddy!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good job. Wait until the ground gets thoroughly moist and you will get even better depth. It's always exciting too when the signal is deep cause a lot of times it's old. ;D ;D

Bob

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Good job on the triple; Bob's right, moist ground will unmask things that might be trying to hide from you.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Good job on the silver and thanks for posting your finds as they looked when you recovered them from their hiding places.

HH

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
The silver slump is over with triple finds,thanks to the Explorer.From now on you will be finding them deeper than me with my M6,rather than me finding them deeper than you with the Ace.I predict much silver in your future buddy!

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Ricardo... I'm working on my 3rd year with the ExpII and I've got more silver in the last 8 months or so than the previous 2 years combined... I was beginning to think there wasn't any silver left on LI. Picked up this 2 weeks ago in a "hunted out" park :)
barberquarter-2.jpg

You think you're seeing deep now, wait til the ground softens up a bit and you start learning the machine more :) Did you get the x-1 too?

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Ant said:
Good job on the silver and thanks for posting your finds as they looked when you recovered them from their hiding places.
HH
Thanks Ant, I feel this is the best way to photograph stuff. I will give 'em a bath at the end of the year when I photograph my totals.

LI Tom said:
The silver slump is over with triple finds,thanks to the Explorer.

And you were there to witness me getting skunked three times buddy! I honestly could not believe my luck and tried to convince myself that after digging all the clad and wheats with no silver, that it was simply bad luck. The Explorer definately pulled the first and third coin out. The second one could've been had by the ACE..........and that M6 of yours has pulled silver out of all parks we've been to Tom!

Joe G said:
Nice digs Ricardo... I'm working on my 3rd year with the ExpII and I've got more silver in the last 8 months or so than the previous 2 years combined Did you get the x-1 too?

Thanks Joe, I haven't gotten an X-1 yet (Sunray Probe right?)..........I need one of those and a shovel type digging tool that would be acceptable as far as the permit goes. I really do like the machine, and Tom is my witness, heavy as the sucker feels, I've swung it for like 5 hours straight with maybe a 10 minute lunch break.

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
muleskinner said:
For being inexperienced, your racking up a score. Way to go!

Whites strikes again!!!!! UMM ERRR never mind.

About 20 total hours using that explorer inexperienced. That machine does not resemble or behave like any other detector I've used. It's like re-learning metal detecting. Some basics apply and that is it.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Glad to see your EXPXS is working for you. The first silver coin I found with my EXPII was a deeeep 1900 Barber Quarter.

Remember. Round targets like coins make the soft flute tone.

Enjoy it! Congratulations!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread