Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out to a seldom used park today hoping to find a few coins and maybe an older one with a little luck. I did find an IHP there once before. I was able to be out for 3 hours before I had to get my grandkids off the school bus and I did manage 59 coins worth $2.79. There was one really toasted wheat penny that shall remain ever dateless because if it’s condition and a coat check tag from the Palace Theatre in Frostburg.

The Palace Theatre is in a building constructed around 1890. It became the Palace in 1912 when the building was purchased and the theatre auditorium add to the existing building. It went through several fires and difficulties over the years and closed in 1981. A local group purchased the building and has refurbished it to preserve this piece of local history. The organization shows films and has other events to pay for the upkeep and preservation of this local landmark. No one living today remembers a coat check at the theatre so this at least 80 years.

About 7 years ago I found an umbrella tag from the Palace in a yard in Frostburg and now I have a coat tag to match. I have visited the Frostburg Museum and the Allegany County Museum and neither place has any of these on display. I will get the pair cleaned up and donate them to the Frostburg Museum that is now located across the street from the theatre. They have little monetary value and when I’m gone my kids will probably send most of my artifacts to the dump. (I’m sure they will find a buyer for the coins and jewelry.) By donating them I will be saving the history I have unearthed.

F362FC09-A046-4A98-9FAB-35D31752175A.jpeg CFA8BBCF-F3D3-4C29-9DAC-B036EDD6C505.jpeg

Thanks for looking and keep swingin.

Upvote 28
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and story, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my favorite line:

"...my kids will probably send most of my artifacts to the dump..."

I know how you feel brother. People mistake my treasure for junk, all of the time.

Good luck and thanks for donating to the museum!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the person ever got their coat back? :icon_scratch::dontknow: Nice find!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that tag represents an era long gone, very cool find. yep, my kids look at me strangely as I excitedly talk about some of my finds. they do think some are very cool but what is important to them is other more modern stuff

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that tag represents an era long gone, very cool find. yep, my kids look at me strangely as I excitedly talk about some of my finds. they do think some are very cool but what is important to them is other more modern stuff

I am just a teenager, and I am always telling my friends about what I find... sometimes people don't seem to get it.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice. Congratulations

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool. There is also a Place Theatre in Greensburg, PA. I just lost a very dear friend who lived in Frostburg.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find great piece of history and good info

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt & cool tag, you are to be commended on your donation to the Museum, congrats & HH

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!... especially one that is a piece of local history that can be passed on! :icon_thumright:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was still down south, I’d give you a like, and move along....
But now, I know exactly the theater you’re talking about, and I appreciate your knowledge of the Burgs history.
Well done my man!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just a teenager, and I am always telling my friends about what I find... sometimes people don't seem to get it.

Not everyone appreciates history and teenagers tend to be in that group. That sometimes changes as they get older. I’m glad you are out there digging up history with the rest of us. Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool. There is also a Place Theatre in Greensburg, PA. I just lost a very dear friend who lived in Frostburg.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I think Palace was a common name for theatres back in the days when going to the movies was a big deal and the theatres were the fanciest places most people ever visited. Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was still down south, I’d give you a like, and move along....
But now, I know exactly the theater you’re talking about, and I appreciate your knowledge of the Burgs history.
Well done my man!

Thanks Dave. When you drive through town it’s hard to miss the Palace Theatre. I moved here in 1968 so I’ve had time to get to know the place. Keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions