Would This Tiny Jug Have Keene or Stoddard Manufacture?

boxofrain

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are in Central Massachusetts, and buy lots of Old Things. CHF precludes me from detecting, so we buy from those that do. One customer's family was in Greenfield MA during the better parts of the early 19thC-20thC, and was of "some note". We have the deeds and documents, so he brought in a small lot of Bottles and Pewter. This Jug is freeblown, and in an intense Yellow-Green shade. The bottom half is clear of marks; the upper half resembles a turn-mold item, with a series of concentric horizontal lines. My guess is it's where calipers were used to shape the upper part before the handle was added. It has some mass and moderate wear on the base... I'm wondering if this is a product of a New Hampshire Glass house, as Greenfield MA is a short straight line up to those areas.

Attachments

• jug1.jpg
    jug1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 79
  • jug2.jpg
    jug2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 84
  • jug3.jpg
    jug3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 91
  • jug4.jpg
    jug4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 3
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Very nice find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
B

boxofrain

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I have a True Story about a really nice detected PTS, a pregnant mom, two checks and a grading service saying "whaaaa... ?". When I find the right place here I'll relate it

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert here but it looks fairly modern. From memory feric iron or oxidised iron gives it the colour. I would guess 50 years old or younger.

Chub

OP
OP
B

boxofrain

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert here but it looks fairly modern. From memory feric iron or oxidised iron gives it the colour. I would guess 50 years old or younger.

Chub

Yeah, I would have thought so, too... but we have the other Bottles and they are just as nice. Our customer, who is 72 and a person of "some note", remembers them from his childhood. The Powder Horns are next. The coloring is odd - in hand it's remarkable; I was wondering if the color is a base for another color, like Olive, and this was a whimsy made before the addition of other color-changing materials?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong because I'm not holding it but I think it's a Jamestown Williamsburg reproduction. Maybe his memory was off?

OP
OP
B

boxofrain

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just called the Jamestown Glasshouse, and spoke to a charming young lady. I described the piece, color, and method of manufacture and she says that they didn't make it (the Pontil mark being one reason why...), so I don't know what to tell you.

The "turn mold" type of concentric lines are not part of their method of manufacture, and I was told that their pontil marks are blowtorched smooth prior to the object being released for sale. This pontil mark on this one is sharp. The little jug has stray glass hairlines, something not seen on Jamestown pieces, as I was also told.

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.cmog.org/artwork/lily-pad-pitcher

Transparent aquamarine glass; blown, applied. Pitcher with an applied ear-shaped handle having a thread of glass on top, applied lily-pad decoration, Type II, applied crimped foot, rough pontil mark.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the exact same but maybe searching for more examples of the marlboro st factory could haelp find your answer

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just called the Jamestown Glasshouse, and spoke to a charming young lady. I described the piece, color, and method of manufacture and she says that they didn't make it (the Pontil mark being one reason why...), so I don't know what to tell you.

The "turn mold" type of concentric lines are not part of their method of manufacture, and I was told that their pontil marks are blowtorched smooth prior to the object being released for sale. This pontil mark on this one is sharp. The little jug has stray glass hairlines, something not seen on Jamestown pieces, as I was also told.
This one here has a rough pontil, so she may want to rethink her reply to you. Not saying yours is a Jamestown piece but it does hiighly resemble this one. At any rate, as far as general shape, style and color, it's the closest I can find.
s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500 (4).jpg s-l500 (2).jpg s-l500 (3).jpg

OP
OP
B

boxofrain

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one here has a rough pontil, so she may want to rethink her reply to you. Not saying yours is a Jamestown piece but it does hiighly resemble this one. At any rate, as far as general shape, style and color, it's the closest I can find.
View attachment 1601798 View attachment 1601801 View attachment 1601799 View attachment 1601800

How tall is it? Does it have concentric rings from the middle to the top half? The rings on ours are on the inside, not the outside of the jug.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

boxofrain

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
img635.jpg img634.jpg

This and a few like it came with the jug-10 1/2" tall and bright Teal color

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its right about 3" tall and it appears as if this one has concentric lines also. Is there such a thing as a creamer that has been made using a turn mold? I've only ever seen bottles made that way myself. :icon_scratch: Just looks like a free blown piece to me with an applied handle, no molds involved.

Hand-Blown-Glass-Creamer-Jamestown-VA-Olive-Green-_57 (835x800).jpg

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its right about 3" tall and it appears as if this one has concentric lines also. Is there such a thing as a creamer that has been made using a turn mold? I've only ever seen bottles made that way myself. :icon_scratch: Just looks like a free blown piece to me with an applied handle, no molds involved.

View attachment 1601863

Completely agree. Normal free blown.No turn mould..isnt it just calliper marks? The shape just corrected internally after the top was opened?

Chub

OP
OP
B

boxofrain

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The concentric lines are from calipers used to shape it. Yup, they look "twin-y"
Thanks, everyone! This information I won't forget

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread