1900 V Nickel, 1945 Merc, 1950 Roose, 1910 & 1950 Wheat, 925 China Ring etc.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
1900 V Nickel, 1945 Merc, 1950 Roose, 1910 & 1950 Wheat, 925 China Ring etc.

My first V Nickel dated 1900.

Here’s the story.

I spotted this famous SoCal guy and his brother hunting the demo in the photo, one of the guys is not pictured. The spot that they where hunting is about two blocks away from the spot I was going to hunt.

So I went on and started hunting the area I had planed on. After about an hour or so they show up at my spot. I talked to them and they told me they had found a couple of barber dimes and several other keeper coins not counting more than a dozen wheat’s.

I was also told that was the second day for one of them at that spot. One had a DFX and the other guy in the photo had an Explorer SE. I told them that my main quest was gold, but I find coins while at it. And would they mind if I went to their claim, they said sure it was ok.

The pile of pulltabs and bottle caps came from a spot about 12” around. The only reason I dug them was that I found the1900V nickel on the outer edge. I also found the 1959 Roosevelt dime in that zone. I pulled the 1910 wheat and the 1945 mercury dime near trash too. I could clearly hear all of my targets, or at least they gave off a sound that made me investigate.
The right machine, for the right job.

HH
and sorry for being long winded.

Attachments

• V Nick Hunt 1.JPG
    V Nick Hunt 1.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 939
  • V Nick Hunt Weekend Keepers.JPG
    V Nick Hunt Weekend Keepers.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,487
  • V Nick Hunt School Area Finds 2.JPG
    V Nick Hunt School Area Finds 2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 897
  • V Nick Hunt School Area Finds.JPG
    V Nick Hunt School Area Finds.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 919
  • V Nick Hunt 7.JPG
    V Nick Hunt 7.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 895
  • V Nick Hunt 6.JPG
    V Nick Hunt 6.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 905
  • V Nick Hunt 5.JPG
    V Nick Hunt 5.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 908
  • V Nick Hunt 4.JPG
    V Nick Hunt 4.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 915
  • V Nick Hunt 3.JPG
    V Nick Hunt 3.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 2,569
  • V Nick Hunt 2.JPG
    V Nick Hunt 2.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 904
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Re: 1900 V Nickel, 1945 Merc, 1950 Roose, 1910 & 1950 Wheat, 925 China Ring etc.

Thanks coinman66.

Joeybagofdonuts said:
You seem to find all kinds of nice stuff on the sides of the road there in SoCal!! SD or LA area?

Not really, it depends on what was their previously as well as other factors. That particular spot was a market that people and school kids would congregate at back in the day.

A photo after cleaning as basket case nick.

Attachments

• V Nick cleaned.JPG
    V Nick cleaned.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 523

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Re: 1900 V Nickel, 1945 Merc, 1950 Roose, 1910 & 1950 Wheat, 925 China Ring etc.

That thing that says President is a suspender clip. Here's a few pics of the same one I found back in Dec. Nice diggins.
HH, Mike in NJ

Attachments

• president.jpg
    president.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 519

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Nice finds, but it sounds like it got a little crowded. Way to go.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool was wondering were u been...........G 8) ;)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

It looks like Captain SE cleaned house, too.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

KirkPA said:

not if coins are still being found there...I can imagine 4-5 guys standing there...asking each to move over a little...saying this is my area...they are all hunting trying to dig out that last silver when...five more guys come up with detectors! :o

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Thanks again everyone.

Hi Mike95inNJ.
Thanks. I did not want to date myself, but I knew that. But one of those itmes I can't ID. May be you can, I post a close up after work.

cool was wondering were u been...........G

Hey dogg, that's OG....... ;) Thanks.

DFX-Gregg said:
KirkPA said:

not if coins are still being found there...I can imagine 4-5 guys standing there...asking each to move over a little...saying this is my area...they are all hunting trying to dig out that last silver when...five more guys come up with detectors! :o

The first day that I know the place was hunted was Saturday, that was by the guy metal detecting brother. And then on Sunday he and his brother hunted the spot (the one pictured metal detecting). That was the same day I spotted them and the same day I hunted it. Then oknorm and Captain SE showed up on Monday.

So, oknorm and Captain SE found 1 mercury each, and a few wheat’s at that site. The other coins oknorm mentioned pop out of the ground at Fairmount Park, they say.

All I can say is that the coins that I see found by Captain SE don’t look like any of the silver coins I find around here. And I have found more that a few and in some of the same areas he hunts.

Most of you have seen my coins, you know how they look. The coins that the Capitan found at Fairmount Park look pitted, almost like they when thorough an electrolysis process, and nothing like the coins I have pulled from Fairmount Park, or any other place around the IE (Inland Emperor).

HH

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Ant said:
Thanks again everyone.

Hi Mike95inNJ.
Thanks. I did not want to date myself, but I knew that. But one of those itmes I can't ID. May be you can, I post a close up after work.

DFX-Gregg said:
KirkPA said:

The first day that I know the place was hunted was Saturday, that was by the guy metal detecting brother. And then on Sunday he and his brother hunted the spot (the one pictured metal detecting). That was the same day I spotted them and the same day I hunted it. Then oknorm and Captain SE showed up on Monday.

So, oknorm and Captain SE found 1 mercury each, and a few wheat’s at that site. The other coins oknorm mentioned pop out of the ground at Fairmount Park, they say.

All I can say is that the coins that I see found by Captain SE don’t look like any of the silver coins I find around here. And I have found more that a few and in some of the same areas he hunts.

Most of you have seen my coins, you know how they look. The coins that the Capitan found at Fairmount Park look pitted, almost like they when thorough an electrolysis process, and nothing like the coins I have pulled from Fairmount Park, or any other place around the IE (Inland Emperor).

HH

Hello Ant,

We've never met. Looks like you beat my buddy and I to that demo site. Congrats on your finds there. I usually don't hunt in Riverside...I've been there about 3 times now to Fairmount park. All my other silver finds this year have come from parks around LA and Orange Counties. I haven't posted my finds from Monday's Farimount Park hunt yet on Tnet. I did post them on my CA detecting forum (Kinzli's). I found the badly pitted ones in the hard pack gravel where the old merry go round use to be....there's a few picnic shelters there now. I got 6 silvers from Fairmount on Monday. Some of the other silver from the turf around the park was oxidized, while others looked as good as the day they were dropped....go figure!! In my last 3 hunts at Fairmount, I have found some 22 silver coins (I database all my wilver finds). Back when I reached 300 silver, I found 4 mercs in one hole by the Rose garden at Fairmount, next to a palm tree. Loved those multiple silver holes. I never lie about my finds....everything you see in my posts are truthful. Some of the heavily oxidized silver I find are cleaned through electrolysis, some are cleaned with baking soda and water. I like my wilver cleaned, unless it is a key date, then I just leave it the way it is.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Captn_SE said:
Ant said:
Thanks again everyone.

Hi Mike95inNJ.

DFX-Gregg said:
KirkPA said:

HH

Hello Ant,

We've never met. Looks like you beat my buddy and I to that demo site. Congrats on your finds there. I usually don't hunt in Riverside...I've been there about 3 times now to Fairmount park. All my other silver finds this year have come from parks around LA and Orange Counties. I haven't posted my finds from Monday's Farimount Park hunt yet on Tnet. I did post them on my CA detecting forum (Kinzli's). I found the badly pitted ones in the hard pack gravel where the old merry go round use to be....there's a few picnic shelters there now. I got 6 silvers from Fairmount on Monday. Some of the other silver from the turf around the park was oxidized, while others looked as good as the day they were dropped....go figure!! In my last 3 hunts at Fairmount, I have found some 22 silver coins (I database all my wilver finds). Back when I reached 300 silver, I found 4 mercs in one hole by the Rose garden at Fairmount, next to a palm tree. Loved those multiple silver holes. I never lie about my finds....everything you see in my posts are truthful. Some of the heavily oxidized silver I find are cleaned through electrolysis, some are cleaned with baking soda and water. I like my wilver cleaned, unless it is a key date, then I just leave it the way it is.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Good point Ant...Captain se you should show the before and after pics of your coins like everyone else does...I noticed your pics with the shiney silvers before and thought...I would like to see them as found...I always post my finds as found...I do rinse the cents/wheaties off enough to show the date if possible...Also Ant pictures show the hard work he puts in with each hunt...honesty I think I have felt the pain a few times just looking at his posts...without a doubt one of the very top hunters here... continued good luck guys...hope there is enough room for all of you there today! Otherwise arrange it by who is on lunch...

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Captain se you should show the before and after pics of your coins like everyone else does...

I guess I'm not like "everyone else", Gregg.....LMFAO!!!! Not everyone has found 500 wilvers this year either...I'm unique....why be like everyone else? People will always question a person's finds...that's okay. I will do it my way, and continue to do it "my way". I will not change for anyone the way I post.

You're too funny, bud. You did make me laugh though....Thanks.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Captn_SE said:
Captain se you should show the before and after pics of your coins like everyone else does...

I guess I'm not like "everyone else", Gregg.....LMFAO!!!! Not everyone has found 500 wilvers this year either...I'm unique....why be like everyone else? People will always question a person's finds...that's okay. I will do it my way, and continue to do it "my way". I will not change for anyone the way I post.

You're too funny, bud. You did make me laugh though....Thanks.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

glad you got a laugh out of it...the point is you are like everyone else..you just think you are different sorry... ;)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

1 merc each is a good day around here in NYC! About the norm. Ant, that is one spunky machine pulling coins from where Explorers and DFX's have been! Big Congrats. Gregg, I totally agree with the photo issue..........I like to see the haul slapped out of the pouch so it can say cheese.

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Hi.

Attachments

• Silver.JPG
    Silver.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Thing.JPG
    Thing.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 785
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Hey guys, what's that thing I posted above the suspender clip? The same type of clip that Mike95inNJ posted.

By the way guys, that pile of coins was a pocket spill ;).

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Well its been fun...but I have to move on I had some really bad finds today...posted a pic ;D...Ant keep plugging away...you are in my books right there at the top! :)

Thomas EX

Greenie
Sep 18, 2006
Riverside, California
Detector(s) used
Explorer II

Hey, thats me! And by the looks of where I was in the pic, is around the spot I pulled up a Barber dime, this is what I pulled out of that little spot except for the merc, that I got at a parking strip down the street.

Thomas

Attachments

• Xander 069.jpg
    Xander 069.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 217
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Hi Thomas.

I called you the famous guy because I didn't know if you would mind me posting your name. I was trying to keep your anonymity.

Welcome to the forum. And I'd like to tell everybody that I put Thomas in the same class as Tom from CA and Paul from Turle County, some of the guys on the net that influenced me when I started.

I found my coins right behind you. I went to look for you guys and you where gone and then I checked the lot that I told you about and no Thomas or Brother.

HH

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Thomas EX said:
Hey, thats me! And by the looks of where I was in the pic, is around the spot I pulled up a Barber dime, this is what I pulled out of that little spot except for the merc, that I got at a parking strip down the street.

Thomas

welcome to the forum Thomas nice finds...

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o ANT!! 8) I'd say YOU are one of the 'famous' ones, here. ;D Fantastic finds as usual~! ;) Great pics too!

Nana :)

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Ant said:
Thanks everyone.

By:oknorm:
i'll bet that lot gets better when they remove all the debris and scrape it a bit more.
Hi oknorom. You got that right. I'll surely be keeping tabs on that spot.

If you go back to Lake Evans any time soon, try on top of the new
irrigation system that is now covered up around that rose garden (they used PVC pipe), but still fresh. I found a 43 war nickel, a 59 silver quarter, a 1960 dime and a few wheat's when they first started. My weapon of choice is the GoldBug 2, a dedicated gold machine but I find coins too.

ivan salis said:
you did say nothing about the button ? looks like an old navy type button --

This evening I'll post a photo and maybe you can tell me about it.

HH

Great finds Ant!! I'm telling you, it's hard to beat the sensitivity of a dedicated gold machine for all around metal detecting. You have to dig a little more, but, you miss very little. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread