Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My usual spots seem to have crested and are not producing ....:icon_scratch:

However, schools out now and yesterday they tore out a sidewalk in front one of the elementary schools. I kept an eye on their progress and was pleased when they stopped working for the day without laying the frames or screwing up that beautiful dirt :icon_thumright:

I got in there last night and found a wheat right off the bat! With my hopes-up the wheat was followed by a string of zincolns and clad :BangHead:
After a short while I dug a crusty Merc! Then it got dark and I couldn't see what I was digging but once I was home I found I had also dug a Rosie, 7 more wheats and my first V Nickel!:hello2: It ain't pretty but I am hoping I can clean it up a bit. Any suggestions?

A few other recent finds down below !

IMG_5450.jpg
IMG_5452.JPG
IMG_5468.JPG
IMG_5469.JPG
IMG_5428.jpg
IMG_5430.JPG
IMG_5432.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 37

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the framed pin is a WW2 Distinguished Unit Citation. If you remember the spot where you found it, you may want to recheck the hole and see if by chance there is a tiny oak leaf from it. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to give a look.

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the framed pin is a WW2 Distinguished Unit Citation. If you remember the spot where you found it, you may want to recheck the hole and see if by chance there is a tiny oak leaf from it. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to give a look.

Yes, that came from a corner of a park I have been working. I know the spot I dug it and will check once I get back there.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned a shield nickel using worchesterchire sauce (covered in sauce for an hour or two per side ) please understand I would never advocate cleaning a rare or key date coin at all ! I only did this because my coin was maybe a $10.00 coin at best -

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nickels come out looking like that. there isnt much you can do to them. i lightly tooth pick them. be carefully if you do if you go to far its harder to see detail in them

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soak it in mineral oil for a couple of days and then take a tooth pick to it . It is not worth anything and it would be better to see it than not .They are fun to find for sure .

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some very nice finds. I use Olive Oil on Nickels that are of no collectors value. Soaking it for a few days will help bring the design out, but it will not get rid of that crust that's on there. Try a toothpick or old toothbrush first, then soak it.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, congratulations :occasion14:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, and yes I agree that unfortunately the V Nickel might be beyond the point where you can make it look any better.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the old coins and nice relics! :occasion14:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hit the sidewalks early, but I always get there too late. Found one silver rosie last time I hit a sidewalk and grateful for that. I soaked a V nickel I found behind our church, but forgot about it and the nickel ended up pitter like moon craters. Absent minded was my fault, live and learn. Nice finds & happy hunting.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job keeping your eyes open for your window of opportunity and making it pay off -- congrats on the great finds!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my one and only v nickle was barely recognizable, in fact I couldn't tell for sure what it was. yours looks pretty awesome to me

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"tear out you sidewalks"
About 4 years ago we had our front cement sidewalk removed & replaced with brick.Contractor came in with a backhoe w/soil to back-fill an area 20'x50'.
Fast forward 4 months ago....Trying out my brand new Teknetics for the 1st time It found 1 dime & 1 quarter within the hauled in soil.:)

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Excellent job fellow coinshooter! Thanks for the info on the pin, jewelryguy as I dug one of those, also missing the leaf, back around 2012.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job fellow coinshooter! Thanks for the info on the pin, jewelryguy as I dug one of those, also missing the leaf, back around 2012.

just to clarify.... not all would have an oak leaf cluster. The cluster would signify that they had received the award a second time, thus adding the leaf cluster rather than wearing two of the same award

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"tear out you sidewalks"
About 4 years ago we had our front cement sidewalk removed & replaced with brick.Contractor came in with a backhoe w/soil to back-fill an area 20'x50'.
Fast forward 4 months ago....Trying out my brand new Teknetics for the 1st time It found 1 dime & 1 quarter within the hauled in soil.:)

Yeah, I've found old coins in newly transplanted dirt. I guess you never know whats below the surface.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread