First silver of the year and a 1st ever - 1840 Half Dime!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my old White's finally gave up its ghost I found a good deal on a used MX5 to replace it with in March (probably should have saved up for an Equinox judging from the rave reviews lately) and had opportunistically hit some Wyoming curb strips/tearouts with no noteworthy finds. Well my little family went back to Illinois for an extended vacation and the detector came along in the event that any opportunities arose. Yesterday evening we were strolling in an old hunted-to-death city park that I had never found silver in before, and a ~30'X30' patch of freshly churned bare dirt was passed which got my spidey senses tingling, so after dropping off the gals I hurried back in hopes of sniffing out something interesting.

After about 90% had been detected, I got a fluctuating VDI with a good compact tone, and to my astonishment popped out my 1st Half Dime and oldest US silver by 17 years! It is a bit bent up but otherwise possesses nice detail (I'll be sandwiching it between some boards and whacking it flat soon). As they say, no place is ever completely hunted out! 8-)

DSCN5043.jpg
DSCN5044.jpg
DSCN5046.jpg

Upvote 28
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the half dime recovery! :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a beauty!:hello2:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Have you straightened small coins with that whacking - board method ? I'd be tempted to leave it alone but also curious to see before and after pics if you do it.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of detail on that half dime -- must have been dropped early in its circulation. Congrats on pulling such a rare beauty! :occasion14:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plumbata, nice find! I too, one day..spotted a long pile of fresh dirt at our fairgrounds, they had dug a ditch about 18" deep and that freshly dug ditch had my senses tingling too. I swung back there later, no sooner waved my coil over the first pile and git a clear silver dime signal..stuck my pinpointer in there and I pulled a beautiful 1908 Barber dime out. And yes, this place has been pounded hard. Congrats on the great save, Ddf.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I would use a vise instead of whacking it. You will have more control. Just use masking tape to hold it between the boards.
Nice find!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome 1/2 dime! very lovely coin and one that I would love to find as well

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on that one. Definitely trust your spidey senses.
Im glad im not the only one getting a late start finding silver this year :icon_thumright:
If it were me I would leave it bent up, adds more character.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin, congrats on pulling that half dime. :occasion14: Maybe brought in with some fill dirt :dontknow: Sadly to say that coin still eludes my coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread