Happy Father's Day dad...I sharpened your old rusty knife for you.

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up an old knife and, after cleaning, set on the corner of my office desk. My 13 year-old son figured he would sharpen it for me. :).
Errrr.. thanks? IMG_20180614_154823.jpg IMG_20180614_154835.jpg

Upvote 15

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you can shave with it now :icon_thumleft: congrats

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww...just an early Father's Day gift! When my oldest was 13, he most likely would have stuck that in the back of my head while I was sleeping lol...evil kid...tsk tsk, don't know where he gets it! Good stuff! Ddf

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up an old knife and, after cleaning, set on the corner of my office desk. My 13 year-old son figured he would sharpen it for me. :).
Errrr.. thanks? View attachment 1601846 View attachment 1601847

I would order up new leather and help him finish restoring the knife.
Looks like it might be a Western or old K-Bar. Nothing especially collectible, but definitely worthy of restoration.

I had an old western I found that I made oak grips for. I really liked it. Too bad a friend walked off with it...

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, you should help him fix it up, and find a sheath. A young man needs a good belt knife, and that one looks serviceable.

OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, you should help him fix it up, and find a sheath. A young man needs a good belt knife, and that one looks serviceable.

You are right. What's the point of this thing sitting in a drawer for eternity when there is a young man (my own kid) who has taken an interest in it. I should have realized this sooner....I will refurbish it and give to him. :)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I found a rusty old pocketknife in a creekbed and begged my mom to let me keep it. She wanted it in the trash but I wanted to whittle. She kept saying over and over that I would cut myself and 'get lock-jaw and die'. She eventually gave in but repeated that if I cut myself I would 'get lock-jaw and die.
Sure as hell as I was turning a big stick into a little stick the rusty blade nicked my finger. It was a tiny cut that barely broke the skin but after hearing the repeated warnings from my mom, I was scared to tell her what happened for fear of losing my first ever pocketknife and doubly scared that I was not long on this earth because I would certainly 'get lock-jaw and die'.
I finally mustered the courage to tell her what happened, knowing of course that she would confiscate my knife but by now I'm more concerned about living than whittling on an old stick.
She looked at my wound, then at me and said, "goodbye".
So now I'm blubbering like a dang fool and begging her or someone to save me because I swear I felt my jaw tightening up and I knew I was close to death. She said she might be able to help but first I have to give up my knife which of course I did. I want to live!
She took me into the bathroom, cleaned the scratch and applied some methiolate, (OUCH!) and a band-aid and sent me back out to play, sans knife.
I don't know if I felt more relieved or cheated :laughing7:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I found a rusty old pocketknife in a creekbed and begged my mom to let me keep it. She wanted it in the trash but I wanted to whittle. She kept saying over and over that I would cut myself and 'get lock-jaw and die'. She eventually gave in but repeated that if I cut myself I would 'get lock-jaw and die.
Sure as hell as I was turning a big stick into a little stick the rusty blade nicked my finger. It was a tiny cut that barely broke the skin but after hearing the repeated warnings from my mom, I was scared to tell her what happened for fear of losing my first ever pocketknife and doubly scared that I was not long on this earth because I would certainly 'get lock-jaw and die'.
I finally mustered the courage to tell her what happened, knowing of course that she would confiscate my knife but by now I'm more concerned about living than whittling on an old stick.
So now I'm blubbering like a dang fool and begging her or someone to save me because I swear I felt my jaw tightening up and I knew I was close to death. She said she might be able to help but first I have to give up my knife which of course I did. I want to live!
She took me into the bathroom, cleaned the scratch and applied some methiolate, (OUCH!) and a band-aid and sent me back out to play, sans knife.

LOL great story...and your mom let you live! LOVE IT!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Nice save. Gopher, my family wouldn't have taken the knife. They would have had me soak the wound in coal oil. Worked great for mashed fingers too. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found myself grinning from ear-to-ear while reading this entire post. Good stuff. I am glad you survived your injuries :)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't top that story.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right. What's the point of this thing sitting in a drawer for eternity when there is a young man (my own kid) who has taken an interest in it. I should have realized this sooner....I will refurbish it and give to him. :)

I agree, good to encourage any decent interest a young one shows. But, nowadays? I think I would include, in that restoration, a good, permanent display frame. So it doesn't wind up going to school one day ....for "show & tell". ;)

Nice story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions