🥇 BANNER KILLER CIRCA 1850S MILITIA BELT PLATE!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I wanted to get out for a while, but my options are limited this time of year. I drove down to a circa 1790-1815 house site hoping that the farmer had cut the hay. He had cut it, but he hadn’t bailed it yet, so that field was unhuntable. So I drove over to another of his farms that has a standing, but abandoned, house on it that looks like it could date to the 1830s. I call this place the buckle graveyard because all I ever find here is horse tack buckles. I have dug about two dozen horse tack buckles here, but I have never found anything good, not even an Indian Head penny.

I had only been detecting a few minutes when I got a sweet signal on the Deus, dug down about 6 inches, and pulled out a modern bullet. I thought this can’t be what I was hearing, so I checked the hole again and the sweet signal was still there. I dug a little deeper and still could not pick anything up with the pinpointer. Finally down about 13 inches, the pinpointer started going off. When I got to the target I thought it was probably a piece of junk as it was laying straight up and down and all I could see was an edge sticking up, When I pulled it out I was shocked to see a mid 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century militia plate. I had always wanted to dig one of these. This plate now ranks pretty high on my all-time favorite finds list.

Further research shows this property on the 1856 County Atlas as belonging to W. Allen. A search of militias from the county shows William Allen as a private in Company A of the Sixth Pennsylvania Militia, which mustered in on September 13[SUP]th[/SUP] 1862 for the defense of the State of Pennsylvania during the Antietam campaign. They marched as far east as Chambersburg, PA, encamped and awaited orders to move against the Confederates. They were mustered out on September 29[SUP]th[/SUP] 1862. William Allen died in 1881 and the names of other local residents appear on his will as executor and witnesses. Considering these facts, and the time frame when these buckles were popular, this is almost certainly William Allen’s militia uniform belt buckle.

Plate Dirt-1.jpg Plate in Hand Dirty.jpg

Plate in Hand.jpg Plate in Hand Dirty Back.jpg

Plate Front.JPG Plate Back.JPG

Here is the plate in Michael J. O'Donnell's "American Military Belt Plates"
Plate in Book.JPG

And here it is in it's new home :icon_thumright:
Plate in Case.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 113

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve you absolutely killed it with this buckle find, at 13 inches no less! It deserves a special place in your collection and I'm pulling the banner trigger for you buddy! Congrats on getting in some good research to make the plate even more special.
Keith

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a sweet looking military buckle.
What a great banner find.
Congrats

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another addition to the upcoming banner lineup. Lots of good stuff coming out of the dirt. That's a good historical save!

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is a great piece of history and awesome research to make this post even better! I vote banner as well.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
THAT IS A WAAAY NICE FIND!! Great Research Too!

I'm Happy For You!

Kace

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible find and to tie it to an individual is that much more awesome, definitely BANNER!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a truly awesome piece of history Steve!

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is nice find! Looks good in its new home.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the design on that, nice job. Excellent work with your research too! Pretty neat to know exactly where it came from and the man who wore it.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didnt even know there were belt plates out there that didnt say US, CSA or had an eagle on them. Very nice find

Last edited:

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Don't know much about civil war relics being from up north, but when i see some of the top relic hunters from here giving a banner vote, it gets mine also. Congrats.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve you absolutely killed it with this buckle find, at 13 inches no less! It deserves a special place in your collection and I'm pulling the banner trigger for you buddy! Congrats on getting in some good research to make the plate even more special.
Keith
Thanks Keith I appreciate the vote! Maybe we will be side by side up top in a few days. It would be an honor to be next to your sundial.

What a sweet looking military buckle.
What a great banner find.
Congrats
Thanks Relicific. It does have a lot of eye appeal :laughing7:

Huge congrats on the militia plate Steve, definitely one that's one many of our bucket lists. Dry brushing turned out great
VMI thanks for the comment. Luckily it was lost in a spot that never saw a plow.

Looks like another addition to the upcoming banner lineup. Lots of good stuff coming out of the dirt. That's a good historical save!
Thanks I hope you're right :thumbsup:

Wow that is a great piece of history and awesome research to make this post even better! I vote banner as well.
Thanks for the vote Louis. Washington county gave up a few of it's treasures this weekend, eh?
THAT IS A WAAAY NICE FIND!! Great Research Too!
The research makes it even more special :icon_thumleft:

I'm Happy For You!

Kace

What an incredible find and to tie it to an individual is that much more awesome, definitely BANNER!!
Thanks BLK HOLE. I appreciate the comment and the vote!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on an amazing find Steve and on achieving your 3rd BANNER! :occasion14:

It always amazes me the amount of detailed information you have access to from the Civil War. :thumbsup:

Dave

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful plate, enhanced by your research and provenance. Banner vote.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread