🥇 BANNER KILLER CIRCA 1850S MILITIA BELT PLATE!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I wanted to get out for a while, but my options are limited this time of year. I drove down to a circa 1790-1815 house site hoping that the farmer had cut the hay. He had cut it, but he hadn’t bailed it yet, so that field was unhuntable. So I drove over to another of his farms that has a standing, but abandoned, house on it that looks like it could date to the 1830s. I call this place the buckle graveyard because all I ever find here is horse tack buckles. I have dug about two dozen horse tack buckles here, but I have never found anything good, not even an Indian Head penny.

I had only been detecting a few minutes when I got a sweet signal on the Deus, dug down about 6 inches, and pulled out a modern bullet. I thought this can’t be what I was hearing, so I checked the hole again and the sweet signal was still there. I dug a little deeper and still could not pick anything up with the pinpointer. Finally down about 13 inches, the pinpointer started going off. When I got to the target I thought it was probably a piece of junk as it was laying straight up and down and all I could see was an edge sticking up, When I pulled it out I was shocked to see a mid 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century militia plate. I had always wanted to dig one of these. This plate now ranks pretty high on my all-time favorite finds list.

Further research shows this property on the 1856 County Atlas as belonging to W. Allen. A search of militias from the county shows William Allen as a private in Company A of the Sixth Pennsylvania Militia, which mustered in on September 13[SUP]th[/SUP] 1862 for the defense of the State of Pennsylvania during the Antietam campaign. They marched as far east as Chambersburg, PA, encamped and awaited orders to move against the Confederates. They were mustered out on September 29[SUP]th[/SUP] 1862. William Allen died in 1881 and the names of other local residents appear on his will as executor and witnesses. Considering these facts, and the time frame when these buckles were popular, this is almost certainly William Allen’s militia uniform belt buckle.

Plate Dirt-1.jpg Plate in Hand Dirty.jpg

Plate in Hand.jpg Plate in Hand Dirty Back.jpg

Plate Front.JPG Plate Back.JPG

Here is the plate in Michael J. O'Donnell's "American Military Belt Plates"
Plate in Book.JPG

And here it is in it's new home :icon_thumright:
Plate in Case.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 113

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
very neat find

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That is one GREAT find Steve. Rare plate and I vote BANNER on this one.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a stellar find, Steve-and you did a great job researching the provenance of it. What a thrill it must be to have recovered a completely intact militia belt plate that you know for a fact was worn by a specific soldier in the Civil War. My banner vote is in. Congratulations!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a stellar find, Steve-and you did a great job researching the provenance of it. What a thrill it must be to have recovered a completely intact militia belt plate that you know for a fact was worn by a specific soldier in the Civil War. My banner vote is in. Congratulations!
Thanks for the vote D-n-D. Let me tell you the thrill was real and I'm still on Cloud 9 :hello2:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome find and it looks real nice in the new home you provided for it. Congrats on a fantastic find. Someone tell me how to vote banner and I will. Thanks.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I'm voting banner on this one as well. Good luck!
Thanks for the vote GaReb. From what I understand, this pattern was popular with pre-war southern militias.

That is one awesome find and it looks real nice in the new home you provided for it. Congrats on a fantastic find. Someone tell me how to vote banner and I will. Thanks.
Thank you Hawks!

I voted BANNER Steve! Incredible find. Congrats, Q.
Thanks Quindy, I thought you might like this one!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve you just got my banner vote. Thanks for sharing this awesome find. We in Canada don’t get to see these type of finds very often and you just made my day. Congrats again!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent job Steve!! Definetly a killer find :occasion14: Just got my banner vote brother!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an incredible recovery! 13” is deep, but I guess in a field this time of year it is not too hard to dig, in the woods 13” is a challenge with roots and rocks. You must have been shocked when you saw the plate and not a beer can or chunk of old farm brass sheet metal. Belt plates are super rare in W PA so I can only imagine your surprise when you finally extracted it. You preserved it well. Definitely a Banner Find. My vote is in!!!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an awesome find! Totally cool in so many ways plus you managed to find some history related to it! This is what so many of us detect for, oh yeah for the gold and silver but this is the ultra cool relic finds of times past like the CW etc. Totally Banner! Congrats on the dream find. Jerry

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW... For many people a plate like that is a find of a lifetime. You have my banner vote.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve you just got my banner vote. Thanks for sharing this awesome find. We in Canada don’t get to see these type of finds very often and you just made my day. Congrats again!
Thanks Hawks! That makes two of us who's day was made by this plate!

Excellent job Steve!! Definetly a killer find :occasion14: Just got my banner vote brother!
Thanks buddy! I am very happy to add this one to my collection :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on an incredible recovery! 13” is deep, but I guess in a field this time of year it is not too hard to dig, in the woods 13” is a challenge with roots and rocks. You must have been shocked when you saw the plate and not a beer can or chunk of old farm brass sheet metal. Belt plates are super rare in W PA so I can only imagine your surprise when you finally extracted it. You preserved it well. Definitely a Banner Find. My vote is in!!!!
Thanks for the vote Thad :icon_thumleft: Actually I didn't find this in a field. I found it a small ravine leading to the spring house. And yes, I had to chop through quite a few roots to get to it. I'm just glad I didn't clip it with my shovel :laughing7:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible plate man! Complete and with a sick patina on it. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome find! Totally cool in so many ways plus you managed to find some history related to it! This is what so many of us detect for, oh yeah for the gold and silver but this is the ultra cool relic finds of times past like the CW etc. Totally Banner! Congrats on the dream find. Jerry
Thanks for the vote Jerry! I am very happy to have saved this piece of history.

WOW... For many people a plate like that is a find of a lifetime. You have my banner vote.
Thanks for the vote DK :icon_thumleft: I have been wanting to dig one of these plates for a long time, and I doubt I'll find another, so I guess you could say it is a find of a lifetime!

Incredible plate man! Complete and with a sick patina on it. :occasion14:
Thanks Brad. Luckily I found this in an area of the farm that has never seen a plow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread