Personalized key from Civil War Soldier.

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
personalized key.jpg Ok, I actually found this Last Friday, but I wanted to share and at the same time ask if anyone recognizes this style of key to be from a certian era. I searched this guy and he was a confederate soldier, Before the war he was a wagon Master in charge of transporting supplies from Ocala florida to Tampa Florida. Then he married in 1859 moved to Palatka Florida and after the war became a Steam boat captain. So, my guestion is does anyone recognize this to be a personalized key from say a strong box or a goods box on a Wagon train, or maybe a key from a Steamship or maybe just a personalized key for a house. Was is common for people to personalize their keys to there house? Any back ground info on this type of key is much appreciated.

Upvote 7

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Neat find Alan - love the way you tied in the soldier. I spent the last 30 minutes or so trying to find out how to "identify" a particular skeleton key - gooooooood luck in that effort! :laughing7: I found a ton of keys with basically the same configuration that worked for draws, pad locks, doors, etc. Most articles say carefully examine the key for any type of mark (i.e., numbers, letters, etc.) to help with the ID. Hope a member can help ya.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice key find Alan sorry I can’t help with the ID.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance we could get a better photo of the tag? I can't see it very well.

Very cool find!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting find! And great that you have been able to make such progress in your research. Thanks for sharing. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread