digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry this isn't a today find . A friend of mine found this button at a civil war fort where he has found numerous eagle buttons . He is very knowledgeable about civil war relics but this button stumped us both. It is the size of an eagle button the letters under the eagle look like RN the back Mark is Paris at the bottom and I cant make out the top letters on the back.

Attachments

• 20180622_141127.jpg
    20180622_141127.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20180622_141152.jpg
    20180622_141152.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 9

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Mexican button with the eagle holding the snake. The R probably stands for Regiment and the N stands for a town or province.

Last edited:
OP
OP
digger dad

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years !! I would say it's definitely the one in the picture . But info is still limited online about that exact button .

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without having much knowledge on Mexican History:

Would not " R M" stand Republica Mexicana? And would that not limit the Timeframe?

Thats imho a early 19th century button, only thing unfamiliar is that is not marked English (Trebel gilt, Rich orange, London or somthing like that) but Paris.

According to the above, I would date the button 1824 to 1858.

But thats just my speculation

Namxat

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
digger dad

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without having much knowledge on Mexican History:

Would not " R M" stand Republica Mexicana? And would that not limit the Timeframe?

Thats imho a early 19th century button, only thing unfamiliar is that is not marked English (Trebel gilt, Rich orange, London or somthing like that) but Paris.

According to the above, I would date the button 1824 to 1858.

But thats just my speculation

Namxat

We were seeing RN on the button RM or Republic of Mexico makes since now rhat we got an I'D from Tnet. It is estimated that 3500 Hispanic soldiers fought ikn the American civil war , 1000 for the union and 2500 for the confederacy. Now we figure the button must have came from a Hispanic confederate that wore his uniform from the Mexican American war . It wouldn't make since for him to be union , the government would have issued them union blues.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were seeing RN on the button RM or Republic of Mexico makes since now rhat we got an I'D from Tnet. It is estimated that 3500 Hispanic soldiers fought ikn the American civil war , 1000 for the union and 2500 for the confederacy. Now we figure the button must have came from a Hispanic confederate that wore his uniform from the Mexican American war . It wouldn't make since for him to be union , the government would have issued them union blues.

Thanks! I learned something today. I thought, the button would be from a site that was previously Mexican and just by chance on a later Civil War site.

Greets Namxat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions