Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a very long time since I posted here or anywhere! Lost interest in detecting because I wasn't finding much and I was to chicken to ask for permission to detect on peoples land. About a year ago I got the itch again from watching metal detecting videos on YouTube so I bought a Minelab CTX3030. I still had my Explorer SE and mentioned to my girlfriend I was going detecting and asked if she wanted to try detecting. She used the Explorer SE and we went to the local parks and started to find things. She was hooked! In fact, I created a metal detecting monster! She wanted to detect all the time and asked a ton of people she knows for permission.... and she got permission from everyone she asked! I then started to do research and we started to find good things! For her birthday her 2 boys and I chipped in and bought her an Equinox 600. She loves it! I tried it out and really liked it a lot. The weight was less than the CTX and I was starting to have shoulder problems so I bought an Equinox 800. Boy do I love that machine! So far we have found a silver charm bracelet, some junk jewellery, old buttons, a silver class ring, well over 50 wheat pennies, a Grand Hotel skeleton key, a crotal bell, mercury dimes, a Barber dime, 2 Barber quarters, a walking liberty half dollar, silver Washington quarters, silver roseys, a ton of clad and zinc pennies, fistfuls of square nails, my 2 oldest coins a 1826 large cent and a 1848 large cent, and a huge amount of junk. I did find another large cent but it was so worn all I could make out was some of the stars. Last hunt I got the nice Merc. Here are some of the finds including the nice Merc:

silver.ring.jpg crotal.bell.jpg silver.rosey.jpg silver.dime.jpg silver.quarter.jpg silver.barber..jpg silver.barber.1900.jpg silver.half.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 44

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, did you ever come back big!!! Super nice finds!

OP
OP
Whyme

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom! All of the finds pictured are mine except the crotal bell. That was found by Mary. And wouldn't you know it... I started the hunt saying a crotal bell was high on my bucket list! As we were leaving she got a nice tone and dug the bell :hello2: Today I dug a 1906 V nickel in a spot I researched, the soil here isn't nice to nickels so I'm not going to post it, but I found one :icon_thumright: We still haven't hit any of the permissions she has gotten, to busy doing town property!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Whyme, those are some awesome finds!!! TFS..."D"

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Bunch of nice finds there Whyme! Welcome back. I'll have to send my better half out in search of permissions:icon_thumright:. Good Luck when you start hitting your's.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a come back. It’s always nice to have someone to hunt with and having your girlfriend enjoy the hobby is just great. Congrats on all the excellent finds.

OP
OP
Whyme

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing........ there is another detectorist that lives a block away from me who casually strolls by and tells us "I've detected there before. There's nothing left!" Mary just smiles and keeps on detecting 8-) I haven't the heart to tell him of all the finds we've gotten in the places he detected :)

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome back and I had to laugh at your Mary’s perseverance,that’ s me and my hubby to a T. He always reminds when an area that has been hunted out is very unlikely we’ll find something yet we always do. I’m glad you’re back in the hobby and you did well!

OP
OP
Whyme

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back and I had to laugh at your Mary’s perseverance,that’ s me and my hubby to a T. He always reminds when an area that has been hunted out is very unlikely we’ll find something yet we always do. I’m glad you’re back in the hobby and you did well!

LOL she starts the conversation like this: "Oh hi Julie I haven't seen you in a while! How are you? I've been meaning to ask you.... how old is your house?" If it's older than 1950 she asks for permission! LOL

We rotate the places we go to so they can heal. We will hit a place 2-3 times in a week then change to another place, etc.... But there are a couple places that always produce even when we think they are hunted out :)

That's a quote from The Detectorists! I bought this on Amazon! Loved that show, shame it's all over now :sad10:
dirtsharks.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the great hunt! :occasion14:

ohiodigit

Dec 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt!!! I’m like you, to where I backed off for awhile from not finding much and reading all the finds on here, haha. Starting to think something wrong with my at pro. It’s probably me though. Thank you for inspiring me to get back out there, if I can handle the heat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread