First trade token and it's a big local one - also fragment of another & tiny elephant

Iggyks

May 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First trade token and it's a big local one - also fragment of another & tiny elephant

A big city-owned lot near me that was formerly a farmyard just got mowed Friday and I always go back over it after a new mowing. I hit the fragment that I was pretty sure was a trade token first, then the big 50-center within six or eight feet of the fragment was readable right out of the ground. The E.G. Davison General Merchandise store here in Leonardville burned in 1917; it's possible that someone tossed them in the grass after learning the store would not rebuild. Smaller one was a ten-center. The little elephant I found a few hours earlier under a big tree at my work, different town. Heavy for size, guess it's lead. I'd found a tax token and a pinball token but wanted a local trade token bad so I'm quite happy! P1011033.JPG P1011032.JPG

Attachments

• P1011034.JPG
    P1011034.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 72
  • P1011035.JPG
    P1011035.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 19

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to guess the token may have been a fire. Looks like fire damage to me. I would have been happy with finding it! 50 cents would have had a lot of buying power in 1917.

OP
OP
I

Iggyks

May 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to guess the token may have been a fire. Looks like fire damage to me. I would have been happy with finding it! 50 cents would have had a lot of buying power in 1917.

The whole one? It is slightly domed but I'm chicken to try to flatten it. Or did you mean the partial one? I've found a couple of melted looking things on the same lot.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! The 25¢ and 50¢ denominations are the only ones listed in the Oller & Johnson Kansas Trade Tokens book. Neither is listed on tokencatalog.com so I would hope you would post at least the 50¢ one there. And when you find whole ones of the other denominations, post them as well.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
I

Iggyks

May 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! The 25¢ and 50¢ denominations are the only ones listed in the Oller & Johnson Kansas Trade Tokens book. Neither is listed on tokencatalog.com so I would hope you would post at least the 50¢ one there. And when you find whole ones of the other denominations, post them as well.
John in the Great 208

Sure will! Thanks!

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 50 cent token that you say is done shaped is probably that way from heat. I usually flatten a coin/token like that by sandwiching it between to blocks of wood and clamp in a vise. Nice finds!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice token, congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds first eleohant >>ive seen pozted good display token

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread