Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: Incredible! 1788 8 Reales and 1786 Vermont Landscape Copper!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    2679 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I'd volunteer to mow the high grass
    Yeah, I may be making that offer to him. Although as of now it forces me to keep disciplined and cover the initial ground a few more times. Like I said, I just need a little rain and I think the same ground is going to come alive again!

us
    Apr 2013
    Eastern Massachusetts
    AT Pro, XP Deus
    2123 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner, banner, banner! That would be my absolute dream hunt. Big congrats!!!!!!
    paleomaxx and Hawks88 like this.

jacdec1968

Feb 2014
    Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction, Az in the winter
    Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer, Lesch digger
    3223 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow. You killed it on this hunt. Congrats.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    5400 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I think you just nailed the “best hunt of the year” award! That hunk of silver must feel awesome in your hand. Nice clean up job. But the collection of Coppers is simply amazing as well. Wow! And massive congrats! Banner for sure. Maybe some sort of group pic that shows the details on the best coins...

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13650 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awesome-job-blue-graphic.gif 
Views:	60 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1610432
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    2260 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Huge banner hunt.
    Congrats on those beautiful coins
    To Dig or not to Dig

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    2679 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I think you just nailed the “best hunt of the year” award! That hunk of silver must feel awesome in your hand. Nice clean up job. But the collection of Coppers is simply amazing as well. Wow! And massive congrats! Banner for sure. Maybe some sort of group pic that shows the details on the best coins...
    Thank you! It definitely gets my personal best hunt of the year award. A group shot is a good idea; I did try taking one, but it wasn't as crisp as I wanted so I didn't end up putting it up. Let me take another crack at it and see if I can get the lighting and angle right this time.
    Truth1253, Steve in PA and Hawks88 like this.

Sep 2013
    New England
    Garrett AT Pro; F75
    834 times
    The ornate relic is a keyhole cover.
    paleomaxx and White Wolf like this.

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    11032 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wow.......congrats !! When you say incredible you mean it !! Thats a nice 8 reale !! Along with all the other stuff !! Wow !!

Ya banner from me too.
    Last edited by Blak bart; Jul 10, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

us
    Sep 2015
    Northern IL
    168 times
    Those are some incredible finds. Congratulations!
    Happy Hunting and Good Luck!!

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    -Romans 6:23

God Bless,
    George

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    2679 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    The ornate relic is a keyhole cover.
    Thank you! I knew it looked familiar. I'm poking through google images now, but based on similar examples it may be from furniture like a chest of drawers as opposed to a padlock. Very cool!

us
    Apr 2015
    Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett AT Pro
    68 times
    Metal Detecting
    Geez, you had one heck of a day! Congratulations! I hope to find at least one of those coins someday. Have yet to find a seated anything! Hopefully my time will come.
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Aug 2009
    North Myrtle Beach, SC
    Garrett AT Pro
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paleomaxx View Post
    I'm absolutely floored; I would have never expected to find so much at this site! Just a little background first: I met with a local historian on Saturday who was a friend of a friend. We had an absolutely great time swapping maps and talking about local lore and stories. He has this fantastic hand-drawn map from 1714 that has just 5 houses on it and the rest is wilderness and hills. Super cool to look at, but probably not much use for finding old sites. After awhile he walked me around his property which is a beautiful early 1800's house and across the street is an 1830's barn. In all honesty I had no intention of detecting that particular day, but offhand he mentions that there's oral history that a 1750's house was next to where his barn stands now. He hasn't been able to find any official record of it with the county deeds office though, so it's just supposition at this point. I smile and say: I can probably help with that!

A few minutes later I'm detecting the small patch that's was already mowed (a good portion is still under tall grass) and within minutes out pops a Georgian shoe buckle fragment! Next an iron reigns guide, and third is a CT copper. At this point I know something was here and ceramic and brick fragments in the ground are also a good sign, so I start a grid and the next three hours are pure heaven!

Within the first hour I turn a plug over to see this:

Attachment 1610266

I swear; my very first thought was that I had found a pewter counterfeit so I held it up to the sun and the little bit of silver around the edges gave it away. Genuine silver 8 reales and it is a monster!

Attachment 1610267Attachment 1610268

I'd never seen one in person before, much less held one in my hands, and I have to say they are super thick. I can't imagine how they managed to cut these into quarters and eighths with such accuracy.

The dirt was a little strange since it wasn't just clinging to the coin, it was well cemented on there. I didn't mess with it in the field and when I got home I did some research here on the forum and that firm crud buildup seems to happen to many of these 8 reales. I tried the long soap/water soak and that didn't do much so I eventually used the dilute lemon juice method and very slowly q-tipped away the crud. By constantly swapping q-tips I was able to avoid scratching the silver with captured dirt. I did leave some crud on the obverse that was particularly stubborn but I didn't want an obviously cleaned look. I think it turned out pretty well though and the details are all very sharp. It must not have circulated much before being lost.

Attachment 1610287Attachment 1610288Attachment 1610290

I found a tremendous number of coppers for such a small area. Also very much of note was a King George hat-trick!

Attachment 1610270Attachment 1610271

The King George and King George II are pretty well worn, but the former does have a visible date of 1724 which is my new oldest dated coin! The KGIII may be 1778 and, despite having good details, it is quite thin so possibly a contemporary counterfeit. It actually wasn't the only counterfeit coin too. I found what appears to be a pewter cast of a silver half-dollar:

Attachment 1610274Attachment 1610275Attachment 1610276

A good portion of "United" appears clearly around an edge, but the rest is completely gone. No trace of a design or more lettering. Strangely there's also no trace of edge reeding and no coins from the mid 1800's at the site so I'm inclined to think it would have been a counterfeit draped bust half. Too bad it wasn't genuine.

That's okay though; the two state coppers came out of the ground in stunning shape and I couldn't ask for more than that! The CT copper was the first coin to pop out and some careful toothpicking revealed this:

Attachment 1610277Attachment 1610278

The design on both sides is strong and the date, 1788, is very clear. I believe it's a Miller 11-G which makes is scarce so that's a bonus! The Vermont copper really takes the cake though:

Attachment 1610279Attachment 1610280Attachment 1610281

Right out of the plug it was in great shape and some very careful toothpicking with no water or peroxide brought the details out the rest of the way. Its definitely a Ryder 6 which is common, but the preservation on both sides is exquisite. I'm not sure I could ever hope to dig a better one and I absolutely love the design of these coins so I'm happy!

The dig was a blur, but there were plenty of good relics between the awesome coins. Of course I turned up a bunch of buttons including two really nice dandies and a great pewter.

Attachment 1610282Attachment 1610283Attachment 1610284

There were also some buckle fragments, but no whole buckles this time:

Attachment 1610285

The one on the right is the first dig fragment. I also eventually turned up the tongue piece and the broken tack buckle with the chape. The barrel tap key was a nice find since it's only my third ever:

Attachment 1610286

I also managed to find two dropped pistol balls.

Attachment 1610295

I think all the ones I have found before had been fired so these were a nice change of pace. I actually found quite a bit of melted metal blobs, some lead, but others of pewter and one of brass. Given the amount of coinage in the small area I wonder if this was a small-scale foundry.

Attachment 1610296

There are two mystery pieces that I'm hoping people can help me with. The first is this strange brass ball. The metal is quite thin and there are no work marks or seams. I found out accidentally that it's bell metal and it has a very nice sound to it. The second relic is a small brass piece that looks to be quite old and is almost familiar, but I can't quite place it:

Attachment 1610297Attachment 1610298Attachment 1610299Attachment 1610300Attachment 1610301

I still can't believe how much was in such a small space. I'm definitely going back, although there's not much rain in the forecast so I may have to wait until we get just a little and that way I don't ruin the grass. The ground was hard-packed dust and gravel and it's on a little rise so I don't think the ground ever stays wet for long and that's why the coins were so well preserved. It does make signal isolation hard and I plan on gridding with a couple of detector setting to make sure I don't miss anything. Also in the Fall when the grass flattens the site will more than double in size so I can't wait to get to that ground too. With so many firsts for me in such a small spot; who knows what else could be hiding!

Attachment 1610302
    Epic!
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Tony

May 2013
    City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
    Minelab explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
    5817 times
    Outstanding hunt....
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    29434 times
    Stellar digs... great thread / post.

BANNER.
    paleomaxx likes this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links