tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out early this morning for a couple hours before the heat got unbearable! I would have to say it was worth it. Found this CSN coat button laying on top of the ground after getting a good solid signal. Look down and see and shank peeking out of the dirt. Hard to believe after 150+years and cows stomping all around this beauty that it stayed right on top for that long and remains intact. The backmark is about as rare as it gets for a CSN button. Hebbert & Co. London but can't find much info on it. Most of the London backmarks are a different manufacturer. Could be cleaned a little more but Im scared to death to even try. Gently brushed it under warm water and I think that is all I will do for now. Thanks for looking folks and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20180710_110138824 (2).jpg
    IMG_20180710_110138824 (2).jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_20180710_110120031 (2).jpg
    IMG_20180710_110120031 (2).jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Upvote 79

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a real heart stopper! :hello2::notworthy: banner for sure, congrats on the totally awesome find!

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks a bunch for all the banner votes! I didn't know if it would have enough to make it up top but I would be honored if it did!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a crazy good, insanely rare, and an iconic Confederate button. More Confederate staff officer buttons are posted than example of the CSN. I am going to vote banner on this one, and I won't even ask you to pay me five bucks to do so.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is rare as everyone says. The condition is fantastic. Was it near the Tennessee river or do you think the guy maybe came home with it. Very cool find and congratulations. Glad you shared it with us!

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I talked to a local expert and he advised that during mid to late war the Army of Tennessee were issued Confederate Naval jackets due to the lack of clothing for the troops. Apparently they were issued to some Confederate infantry units in the army of TN but mainly middle Tennessee. He told me that troops around the Dalton GA area also received some of these jackets as some of the same buttons were found in that area. He also said that every one that has been found in this area has the same Hebbert backmark. I am most surprised to hear that it was infantry because this area was on the far left flank of Bragg's army and most camps in this area are cavalry camps. Now I am gonna do some research and see if I can find which specific units if possible. The rebs didn't have great documentation so don't know if that is possible. I know of two other buttons just like this one that have been found in the same area.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a local expert and he advised that during mid to late war the Army of Tennessee were issued Confederate Naval jackets due to the lack of clothing for the troops. Apparently they were issued to some Confederate infantry units in the army of TN but mainly middle Tennessee. He told me that troops around the Dalton GA area also received some of these jackets as some of the same buttons were found in that area. He also said that every one that has been found in this area has the same Hebbert backmark. I am most surprised to hear that it was infantry because this area was on the far left flank of Bragg's army and most camps in this area are cavalry camps. Now I am gonna do some research and see if I can find which specific units if possible. The rebs didn't have great documentation so don't know if that is possible. I know of two other buttons just like this one that have been found in the same area.[/QUOTE

All our records were burned.Bragg retreated with a rear defense through my back yard on an old mule/wagon road with Sherman pushing him. Bates set up a battery and slayed many of Shermans men. It is nice that you are putting the research in. I always want to know who what when and WHERE. Much better than just a random find.
Congrats again.... oh and keep us updated on your research.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That is Beautiful! One very nice save!

I first looked at it without reading your post and I could almost swear it said

OBN

IMG_20180710_110120031 (2).jpg

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buttons usually donโ€™t get me too excited....
But Iโ€™m a little damp after seeing this.
Fantastic.

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A button that rare and a CS plate are the finds I hope I get in my life and this just shows that there is still plenty out there. Congrats.

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful find!!!

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone for putting this on top! Makes me super happy that you all love it as much as I do! That's what I love about this site, you guys and gals have an appreciation for history! As soon as I can narrow down more info on the button I will update. I'm pumped!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey just clicked in and saw it on top. Congratulations to you on your rare find in good condition. If it was toasted I doubt I would be typing this! Lol My luck is a button back or button no back.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Banner!:notworthy:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every now and then someone gets a little unruly here on Tnet but then something like this awesome button comes along and it just fires up the Kindness Quotient on this site and it just feels good! Kinda why I keep comin back........................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread