tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out early this morning for a couple hours before the heat got unbearable! I would have to say it was worth it. Found this CSN coat button laying on top of the ground after getting a good solid signal. Look down and see and shank peeking out of the dirt. Hard to believe after 150+years and cows stomping all around this beauty that it stayed right on top for that long and remains intact. The backmark is about as rare as it gets for a CSN button. Hebbert & Co. London but can't find much info on it. Most of the London backmarks are a different manufacturer. Could be cleaned a little more but Im scared to death to even try. Gently brushed it under warm water and I think that is all I will do for now. Thanks for looking folks and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20180710_110138824 (2).jpg
    IMG_20180710_110138824 (2).jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_20180710_110120031 (2).jpg
    IMG_20180710_110120031 (2).jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Upvote 79

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Actually now that I look a little closer there is one difference between the front of the buttons. Your button does not have barrel bands on the cannon while mine does. I guess this is just the difference in manufacturers. Cool!

Yes that would explain the differences. Did you find any information on your backmark? EDIT: I just scrolled back and read that others were found with the same backmark. Interesting.

Last edited:

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahh, !! Great !! I found one while tilling my backyard garden a few years back-,rather beat up, but still readable- and I live up in the Finger Lakes of N.Y.!! how the heck it got here is anybodies guess. We did have a C W prison in Elmira, I might check records if there were any Navy men in there--

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ahh, !! Great !! I found one while tilling my backyard garden a few years back-,rather beat up, but still readable- and I live up in the Finger Lakes of N.Y.!! how the heck it got here is anybodies guess. We did have a C W prison in Elmira, I might check records if there were any Navy men in there--

There were no rebel Navy guys around middle Tennessee either. Some infantry units were issued the Navy jackets due to lack of other uniforms from what I understand. I am still in the process of trying to find the particular units that may have received these uniforms but have come up empty so far!

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate
I found an identical button in downtown Nashville several years ago. I can tell you that those buttons were NOT gilted, so additional cleaning is not necessary and may damage it. Superb find that very few have made. Nearly all of them have been found in Middle TN ( I heard of a coat found in an attic in TX). Truly once in a lifetime. Here is a link to my identical find (yours is in better condition) http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/208067-first-confederate-button.html#post2121365

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found an identical button in downtown Nashville several years ago. I can tell you that those buttons were NOT gilted, so additional cleaning is not necessary and may damage it. Superb find that very few have made. Nearly all of them have been found in Middle TN ( I heard of a coat found in an attic in TX). Truly once in a lifetime. Here is a link to my identical find (yours is in better condition) http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/208067-first-confederate-button.html#post2121365

That's awesome you found one as well. I definitely haven't tried anymore cleaning. That makes the fourth rebel button I have found in this spot over the past month. I will try to make a post here in a little while with the Confederate I Buttons found there. Thanks for the reply!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible button! I sure love the history behind it and how it came to be in the area! I hunt in Mid TN as well and it's tough to find any CS brass especially that comes out looking that nice. Congrats on a great find and I would like to see the other buttons you've found this month. Keep it up and good luck!

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Additional Confederate Buttons

Here you go Sooper Dave and all others that are interested.

These 2 have been found since the CSN button was recovered. There is also another one that I don't have a picture of but it is the same type of I button with an iron back. All three I buttons have had the shank still attached, although one crumbled before I could get it home so I just glued it back together. It appears I am on an excellent Confederate site. I will try to upload a video of digging the second I button but I haven't been able to so far. I found a CS Leech and Rigdon Tongue for a 2 piece buckle last year in this area and I am just waiting for the wreath to pop us somewhere on the property.

Attachments

• IMG_20180801_111820345.jpg
    IMG_20180801_111820345.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20180806_130517053_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180806_130517053_HDR.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20180806_130555338_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180806_130555338_HDR.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 66

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread