conglomarate of rock

mclean

Jul 21, 2013
Scotland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1026[1].jpg DSCN1020[1].jpg DSCN1025[1].jpg Here is a rock I found in a river, I believe it is a conglomarate of iron crystals and other minerals, has anyone seen a rock like this and I would be very interested to find out how it was formed, thankyou.

Upvote 6

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very interesting, I've seen a lot of rocks and I have no idea.

Looks like slag or some kind of igneous rock that cooled before all the rocks it intruded into melted. I'm just throwing out wild guesses.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's iron it would attract a magnet. The cubic crystal forms suggest pyrite or galena crystals. The color of the cubes may indicate oxidized galena in sandstone or mudstone. IMHO.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting rock find! :occasion14:

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely pyrite (iron sulfide) crystals in a slate matrix. Here's a sample freshly broken from the host rock:

Slate.jpg

Your sample is particularly cool though as that's the first I've seen as a river rock. The water action wore away the slate faster than the pyrite leaving distinct crystals with just a little edge smoothing. That's a great display piece you found!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely pyrite (iron sulfide) crystals in a slate matrix. Here's a sample freshly broken from the host rock:

View attachment 1610888

Your sample is particularly cool though as that's the first I've seen as a river rock. The water action wore away the slate faster than the pyrite leaving distinct crystals with just a little edge smoothing. That's a great display piece you found!

Defintely? Wow. The example you post does not resemble the OP's.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree, mudstone.
If it's iron it would attract a magnet. The cubic crystal forms suggest pyrite or galena crystals. The color of the cubes may indicate oxidized galena in sandstone or mudstone. IMHO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions