Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Summer again, so that means a good field site is the first rare find that needs to be found, but my friend Cerebus was in town for what is now our 4th annual Summer hunt and we were going to try and make it happen! This time around we had less locations, hunted fewer hours, and found less targets, however not only did I find a "Gilty Dog" ... I am a guilty dog for getting my coil over the best buttons! :tongue3: That said, we still have 4 hours left so in no way am I claiming victory quite yet, but it is still a big win for me no matter how it all ends up.

Day 1: We did a short evening hunt at a field near the cottage where Cerebus was staying. I had very low expectations going into these hunts and thought if I came out with just one find I like I would consider it success... and I did. I dug the nice silver plated New Romney Fencible Cavalry (Light Dragoons) button (1794-1800)

Day 2: We were back in the same area and seen hay being cut and baled. Got permission and I walked down the field and dug a decent little local militia officer cuff my first signal! (gotta love that) My two main military interests in detecting is Rev War, and the local stuff, so again my day was made! We hunted the half of the field the farmers had clear and did not get much more.

Day 3: Took a drive up up a river and to a bay, and didn't see much for places to dig. On the way back stopped at a shoreline Ironhorse and I had dug some old finds years ago. I knew immediately it was not what I wanted to do, but did a 10 minute walk down and back... dug one target and it was the crown militia type button. It's like the things were finding me. :laughing7: So from there we went back to the hay field and dug some targets but nothing special. It ended with us getting some early targets very close to an electric fence, and that was where we would start hunt 4. That day the heat really got me, even quit about an hour early and stopping detecting is as rare as what I got on day 4. :)

Day 4: Was really seeming like nothing special, walked around the hay field and dug an old target here and there, but after about 2 hours in I was in the center of the field and dug a button. I couldn't see anything on it being very corroded, so threw it in my pouch and kept going. About 15 minutes later, with it still on my mind, it just struck me as being something -- or better put I just had a feeling, so I took it back out to brush off the dirt a little. It was then I thought I could see some letters, and the distinct style of the lettering was something I was familiar with, and really wanted to find, so I immediately went over to my backpack to grab some water and have a closer look. I'll include the field shot I took then to show how there wasn't much to see. At that point I could confirm I had an early military button, and was very sure, but not certain it was what I was hoping for. Finally when I got home and started the cleaning process it turned out my day and Summer hunt was really made as I had found a Rev War Loyalist 2nd issue King's American Regiment officer's coat button... the last I needed to complete my collection. (both issues, coat and cuff) Last Fall after many years waiting I dug a nice cuff, so to get a coat size so fast I feel very fortunate. It's too bad it didn't clean up a little better, but based on how it came out it could have been worse. It's one I've wanted for a very long time so even if it was barely identifiable I'd still be talking about it the same way.

Today was Day 5, we drove a fair bit and tried one field that had nothing. Ended up back at the "Romney" field and didn't get much. Tomorrow we'll do 4 hours at the hay field and that will be it. Hopefully I can get one more to add here, but if I thought there was a good chance of that I would have held off posting. All in all it was a great Summer hunt, once again. Looking forward to the next. :)

Attachments

• thumbnail_20180712_175631.jpg
    thumbnail_20180712_175631.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 100
  • thumbnail_20180712_210900.jpg
    thumbnail_20180712_210900.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 106
  • thumbnail_20180710_211030.jpg
    thumbnail_20180710_211030.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 95
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 104
  • thumbnail_20180709_191328.jpg
    thumbnail_20180709_191328.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 130
  • thumbnail_20180711_142019.jpg
    thumbnail_20180711_142019.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 100
  • thumbnail_20180711_102558.jpg
    thumbnail_20180711_102558.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 95
  • thumbnail_20180712_211014.jpg
    thumbnail_20180712_211014.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 98
  • thumbnail_20180712_210953.jpg
    thumbnail_20180712_210953.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 111
  • thumbnail_20180713_164702.jpg
    thumbnail_20180713_164702.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 65
  • thumbnail_20180714_180101.jpg
    thumbnail_20180714_180101.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Upvote 27

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's the gold we are all hoping to find!
Man, you guys always do so great, but the heat out there would keep me moving slow
Great finds as usual!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s one heck of a summer jamboree hunt.
Very nice buttons.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me.:occasion14:

Finding an early military from Kent, UK is unusual!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection of finds,,
I need me a few days of nothing but "HUNT"
Maybe I'll put together a ride up to the peninsula.
Congratulations on your Summer Rendezvous and your success.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always amaze me with those killer finds!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Awesome finds. Really nice buttons.Congrats :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was the final day and I added a 7th button. I believe it may be 7th Garrison Battalion.

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Today was the final day and I added a 7th button. I believe it may be 7th Garrison Battalion.

the variety of military buttons you've found recently is getting to the point that there's still going to be an interesting fall and when the big picture is revealed your going to have a big array of finds that are like no others
half the fun is trying to research lots of the history connected to those finds, and that nothing to feel 'gilty' about lol

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds. The heat got to me a few weeks back as well. Curious to the ID on the tube-like item at upper left below the crotal bell?

John

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the variety of military buttons you've found recently is getting to the point that there's still going to be an interesting fall and when the big picture is revealed your going to have a big array of finds that are like no others
half the fun is trying to research lots of the history connected to those finds, and that nothing to feel 'gilty' about lol

That's something I was going to mention without you even having said it... the Fall should be good. We did a little scouting and looking at the fields it started to sink how many of our most recent sites had been plowed and will be good when the crops come out. For example our stretch of fields down in the militia site area... ever one of them had been plowed and has a crop in. That should make for a good day starting at one end and hitting every field. Also passed by the Artillery site from last Fall, it has a crop in so should be good, and where I got the Scottish button and the Shilling should also be decent too. And where all the finds came from in this post, which was very close to where you got the boneback Navy. Never would have been on my Radar but D was staying at a cottage right there and hunting the short some, and seen the field was ready to go. It's the one that has the couple of big clumps of trees in the center, and I know years ago we went down there, and I even thought we had hunted? It's clear someone did, but they left a lot of buttons. Is a very big old site so if we were down there I have no idea how we would have missed it.... of yes I do.. if we just hunted the very bottom and then took off across the other fields. Anyway, so clearly that area has been detected, but we knew that anyway, but clearly there is targets left to find, and I'm betting they didn't hit every other field. I'm looking forward to getting back to the bone back navy site too as the day D and I were there in the Summer we literally found a 1700s find from the very bottom of the field, and one right in front of the house.. and that's one big field with lots of metal!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. The heat got to me a few weeks back as well. Curious to the ID on the tube-like item at upper left below the crotal bell?

John

That's a ramrod thimble, one of three parts that held it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread