cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out with a couple buddies to a new (old) spot in the hill towns, very long history and stretches of beautiful woods. Didn't do well in the first couple hours, despite covering lots of ground. Then we decided to move a little bit to an old road that we knew had some cellar holes, and ended up stumbling across what looked like a pretty big old estate. You could still see evidence of old landscaping around the foundations and walls, even though everything was all way overgrown.

Mike found a largie not too long in, and then an Indian Head, plus some assorted relics, but we were running out of time so I moved up onto the old road to start heading out. Right on the edge of the road I got a strong but not great signal on the Deus, but decided to dig it up since I was just waiting anyway. So glad I did! 1809 dime, my oldest US silver by 25 years.

IMG_1921.jpg

I knew it has some nice details, when I took it home and carefully brushed it off I could see she had some bumps and bruises from 200 years on the road. Totally psyched to have beaten my previous record! Can't wait to get back when some of the vegetation dies off.

Steve

Upvote 67

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"normal" silver coins don't usually make it up top, despite the fact that a coin like this is worth more than a common $1 or $2.50 gold coin. IMO it belongs on the banner as a valuable, early U.S. coin with a lot of eye appeal.

COINgrats!

-Buck

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Buck,
I found that same article! I'm absolutely stoked to have been fortunate enough to find such a great early US silver...not that I wouldn't kill to score a bling like toddbbq posted recently, but for me the real reason I love this hobby is the connection to the past that every old find brings. Who dropped this back in the early 19th century, what was he/she wearing that day, what was the impact of losing it? Did they try to find it once realized? This person had it, then 200 years later I had it, with no one else in-between.
Some things going on in 1809: https://www.onthisday.com/events/date/1809
Thanks for all the great replies, and the suggestions of a banner-worthy find!
Steve

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So beautiful, and what great detail.

A2coins

Gold Member