Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was about 55 years ago that my father took me downtown to Harder's Sporting Goods to buy my first baseball glove. The family owned store on Pine St. had been there since being founded in 1882 as a gun shop. I searched the web for pictures of the old store, but could not find any. Over the years/decades, the business morphed into a place for individuals and teams to get their supplies for all their sporting needs. I still recall the wonderful aroma of leather that permeated the atmosphere. The store had a fire in the 70's and had to be rebuilt and restocked, but remained a thriving business. After a fire in the 80's, the store moved from downtown to a business section just outside the city and changed hands.

2018 07 09 1 of 3.jpg

This is the new store/location. My hunts last weekend of 2 public and one private locations yielded several keys.......this was one of them.

2018 07 09 2 of 3.jpg

I didn't realize what it was until I cleaned it up a bit. So, last Monday, before driving to Philadelphia to pick up family from Texas, I visited Harder's. As I approached the counter, a salesman asked, "May I help you?" I responded, "No, but maybe I can help you." That comment elicited a chorus of groans from the group of men in front of and behind the counter. I explained that I had recovered a key while metal detecting from the original store and offered it to the owner who also worked at the Pine St. store.

"You're giving it to me?"
"Yes."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"Thanks!"

2018 07 09 3 of 3.jpg

Sorry for the delay in posting this.......we were entertaining family from several different cities/states all week.

Thanks for lookin' in and best to everyone on all your hunts!

Upvote 18
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story, nice to read.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find, return, and post Chuck!:hello2:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome back.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a good man Chizzy Honorable mention vote that was really cool!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions