Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out late yesterday and then today with the Equinox, two different schools and silver at each, bringing my short streak to three consecutive hunts with silver.

Last Wednesday's hunt yielded a 1960 Rosie and a silver ring.

Went back to the same elementary school after dinner yesterday and got more clad and 1952 Rosie.

Hunted with Jamie this morning at a Baltimore Co. high school and got a silver ring and another 1960 Rosie.

IMG_6464.JPG IMG_6466.JPG

In the same field as the ring I dug a deep high-tone to find what looks like an escutcheon plate from a drawer pull.

IMG_6469.JPG

Very pleased with these results with the Equinox 600. My one problem with it is that I do not see much difference in the unit's response to a wheat, memorial, clad dime or silver dime. Depth gauge and tone strength agree for deeper targets. I'm digging more pennies but if that means I get the occasional silver dime, no problem.

Upvote 18

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. I've been hiding inside all summer. I think your take on the pennies, etc. is accurate.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Smokey! Great machine - probably nascent Equinox novice syndrome. :)

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice analysis, McCDig! That information will be very helpful when I get my 600 out in the field!

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job with the 600 on all the nice silver finds. Congrats

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silvers! I noticed on my 800 that the majority of wheats I dig hit way up high in the low to mid 30's with the occasional 23-24 where they should ring in. Silvers tend to stay a few numbers higher while bouncing around.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks HighVDI! I've noticed that too regarding memorial and wheat cents; they will give a reading near 30, so a couple of times I was certain I was digging a quarter. It seems though that your average response of 23-24 is like what I see more often, that a 25 turns out to be a memorial.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Hawks88! Now I'm getting picky as to where to hunt next and maybe that's good. I have several schools lined up that opened in the 40's and 50's.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put together s cheat sheet for Repo Archeologist when he first got his Nox 600. We air tested and recorded every clad denomination and then every silver denomination. Copper pre-1982 memorials and wheats came in with the same VDI. Zincolns and Indian Head Pennies came in the same. Different karat gold registered very close to nickel. Foil came in lower. Pulltabs came in higher. He had his wife type it up and laminate it. Nice quick reference you can carry in your pocket. By the way,, Canadian pennies come in super high on the VDI.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves! Looking at those dimes side by side they almost look a little different from one another. I am sure it is the way they are worn. Silver is always nice!!!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks diggingthe1! You know how the silver stains differently. The one 1960 was dark and the other quite brilliant out of the ground.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you Truth1253. I went for years with one Rosie from an elementary school near where I grew up. Even when I started detecting in Baltimore I didn't find much modern era silver. There was older, deeper silver to be dug. Maybe the Rosies will keep showing up as I hunt school properties in the County.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW! I did the same with the 600 and recorded airtest values. I did it with good targets and should have included trash. In the field I find deep rust iron comes in the high 30s, pull tabs (beaver tails) are around 17, foil comes in as a low tone around 6. I have to say I have not been chasing the 12s lately and from what you indicated about gold I could be passing up other rings while chasing high tones. Can always go back and dig the 12s later.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Javadroid! I think there's some of the pirate in me. This one is a landlubber though. Not time yet for water hunting.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks thrifty76now! This last hunt recorded over 70 good targets dug and amounted to about 7.50 in clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions