Found in a load of creek rock they delivered for our driveway, time to Play Ball

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They recently delivered 25 tons of creek rock to use as a base for our driveway before we get dense grade gravel. My kids and I have had fun looking through it and finding lots and lots of fossils and geodes. Found two of these while looking. The kids ran off with the smallest one and now we can't find it.
The grid beneath is 1 inch squares for reference. My brother saw it and said it must have been rolling around in the river for a long time to wear perfectly round like that, lol.

Attachments

• playball.jpg
    playball.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 11

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we find these over here on Roman Sites, I'm sure people have been picking up these natural rocks for thousands of years.

OP
OP
mrtim

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's my understanding these are hand made by Native Americans. rolled from clay and baked in their fires to harden then given to their children as toys (called "Play Balls")

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding these are hand made by Native Americans. rolled from clay and baked in their fires to harden then given to their children as toys (called "Play Balls")
Don't know about your ones, I thought they were river stones like the ones I find. Mine are not man made. But who wouldn't pick them up??

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds sounds like it turned into a lot of fun for ya

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever type of rock it is, you had fun searching thru them with your little ones.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find them all the time around here. Just rocks that are rolled in water, some come out perfectly round while others may be slightly off.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find and what's even better is that your kids are experiencing the hunt with you. You sound like a good dad. My side driveway has crushed limestone shells with bits of sea fossils all through it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread