May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working in the morning, so we had an after lunch session. With the ground so hard & the sun so hot, 2-3 hours is plenty!
We started off with a short 30 mins hunt for a farmers spanner (large one for tractors), the heavy clay was bad news & we only dug big iron, so we moved on without success.
I knew the Field of 500 would only produce about 2-3 scrappies an hour, so I wasn't looking forward to the digging, which I now have to do for Cru'dad as well. My strategy was to do the edges of the site which we hadn't covered when the crop was drilled. It meant less coins but more chances because it was less gridded in the past.
I started much lower on the site than I had realised & my 4th or so dig was super deep. When I got over 10 inches, I knew I must be digging a half coke can until a lovely big hammered popped out in nice condition (I guess because it was below normal plough depth). Silver streak still alive & with my best James I coin to date.:headbang: (2 hour hunt)

Baby Booty - Middle of stubble field:icon_scratch:
12-13th C Belt Mount
Broken 17th C Buckle
6 Scrappies
1606 Sixpence (probably my deepest hammered dig, although I do remember a Shilling at a similar depth)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 32

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing a coin that big and thin surviving is great. :icon_thumright: Laying under plough level sounds like the field surface changed some time in it's life. Maybe a drainage ditch someone fell in and lost his purse? I know guys who fell in such trenches.... 8-)

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning save, Cru...that "1606" plain as day and the striking detail just blows me away. Just how long has that coin been there..who dropped it and why? Of course I ask myself these questions just about every time I pop a silver out, but an EARLY 17th C would blow me over. Thx for sharing, Ddf.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find the other shoe and you can hang them from your rear view mirror!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning hammered! The most pressing questions is--are you going to take the finds photos on the baby boot tread henceforth instead of the pink flip flop?

:D

Cheers,

Buck

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heat is an issue all over it seems, but didn't stop you from pulling some excellent finds! Congrats!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing a coin that big and thin surviving is great. :icon_thumright: Laying under plough level sounds like the field surface changed some time in it's life. Maybe a drainage ditch someone fell in and lost his purse? I know guys who fell in such trenches.... 8-)
You would have to be pretty stupid to do a super-man into such obstacles.

However, you may not be far off, this seemed to be associated with a small lump which was a linear feature across the field.(Which I don't think was Roman, unless it was a boundary, which doesn't fit well with the evidence) If it were an old track-way, it was close to the ditch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread