Standard Oil Company of California 1933 $1 Promissory Note

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See attached, please.

Hi Everybody I found this note on Friday the 13th. Maybe my lucky day? I have searched for another on line and can't find any. I showed it to my coin dealer(50 years in the business) and he never saw one either. Any help will be appreciated. Standard Oil Company of California Promissory Note March 2, 1933.
Pay to the bearer one dollar in lawful money of the United States. That would be silver as I think gold was taken off the market in 1933, not sure of the date.

Best wishes.....Joe McDonough

Attachments

• IMG9.jpg
    IMG9.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG10.jpg
    IMG10.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 14

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice...
Sounds like they worded it just right so that if you brought it in today, it still be worth a whopping $1.00.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a collector might pay a good amount for it

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it. I think it was issued so the exploration crews could use it to purchase goods where there were no banks. I bet it would bring more than a $1 at auction.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You might be able to 'enhance' the value of this note by including some history of not only SOCC, but also of Victor F. Palmer, who became the Asst.
Treasurer in 1921 and resigned on March. 21, 1940.
Don....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, could be worth something to the right collector! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don and all, I'm sure somebody know something about it.....Joe McDonough

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice find there if you post it in the paper currency forum on here maybe somebody can help you

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic piece !! Congrats !!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
company scrip was a way for for companies to scam their own employees while making the company and it's shareholders rich. Lots of companies these days would sure love to use it. The pics or scans you posted look like the note is uncirculated. I looked online but could not find any other examples except from a different company.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jewelerguy, the note has a light center fold but otherwise is in excellent condition, no cuts,stains or losses.....Joe McDonough

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a double dipper. You may find a currency collector, or someone who collects Oil memorabilia to buy it.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
company scrip was a way for for companies to scam their own employees while making the company and it's shareholders rich. Lots of companies these days would sure love to use it. The pics or scans you posted look like the note is uncirculated. I looked online but could not find any other examples except from a different company.

This!
And if you add a company store and company housing, you arrive at something very similar than mediaval serfdom!

My two cents: Demand legal tender for work rendered (and not surrogates like a company car) and pay as much you can cash and anonymus, avoid credit cards and paypal whenever you can. In the long run this will more help to keep a country free than provate gun ownership.

Just my two cents

Greets Namxat

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really cool. I looked on-line and I can't find anything either. That is weird and makes me think this is going to be very valuable and rare

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ship a front and back photo to the currency guru at ha.com They are the biggest auction house in the country for things like this. They will know and will be happy to tell you and of course sell it for you! This could be really good
Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread