Local swimming hole lands two rings.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago my son landed a permission that was scheduled to happen this morning. Unfortunately, he got a text last Thursday letting him know the hunt had to be rescheduled. So, as a backup we talked about hitting a local swimming hole this weekend.

As it turns out, my son made alternate plans to get his car bumper painted today so I was pretty much on my own.

First stop…1 hour at a pounded vacant lot.

One Crazy ugly 1931-S Dime plus a few other clad.

IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3089.JPG

Second stop…local swimming hole. Since I don’t have a submersible detector (yet) I concentrated in a small area just shy of the water line.

After about 3 hours of digging I walked away with a handful of clad, 2 silver rings, (any info on how to clean the rings and how old they might be would be greatly appreciated) one junk religious pendent and an ear ring. At least i think its an ear ring...it is pretty big and pin is on a swivel of some sort.
Swim.jpg Swim1.jpg Swim2.JPG Swim3.JPG

My son will join me with his Nox 800 tomorrow. I have feeling he is gonna be the ring king by the end of the day as he will be going into the water.

Stay tuned and happy hunting

Last edited:
Upvote 26

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats all the nice silver. I clean my silver rings by lining a small bowl with aluminum foil. Throw some baking soda and salt in the bowl and put the rings in. Boil some water and pour in enough in the bowl to cover the rings. Repeat the process till they are clean. Good luck

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool :icon_thumright: I have to look for swimming holes in my area!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds. The rings are going to clean up nicely. Congrats and good luck with the nox 800.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On some silver rings I've made a baking soda / water mix, like a soft paste, and put the ring in it for a little while, then rub it with my fingers, cleans up nice, rinse in water of course, and yes, looks to be an ear ring to me.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always heard backing soda and boiling water for silver. I never tried it though.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the sweet finds!

-- Jeff --

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your silvers. Like Spailroad, I use a water / Baking soda paste mix and just rub it on the jewelry until it cleans up. I never use this method on silver coins though. I leave my silver coins exactly as they come out of the ground. I just like to remember them as found, and not all clean and shiny. Rings are different for me, I don't mind cleaning them.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice on how to clean the rings. They turned out great!
IMG_3104.JPG

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread