One of the Most AMAZING Relics I've Ever Found... And it's GOLD!!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got together with a couple buddies last night to hunt a Civil War camp that we recently discovered, and I found something completely unexpected! I was using my Garrett AT Pro with the NEL Storm coil attached to try and sniff out some really deep bullets that come out of this site. We had only been there for 20 minutes or so when I got a very deep signal that sounded like iron, but would occasionally jump into the 60s. I dug down about 7 inches and the target was still in the hole, but was now reading in the low 50s. Using the pinpointer, I located it in the hole and switched to my small digger. I popped out a chunk of dirt that contained my target. I broke open the dirt ball and I saw the bright shimmer of GOLD staring back at me!! It turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL handmade gold pin!! Well, I think it's a pin anyway... There are two spots on the back where something was once soldered. The whole thing is very nicely engraved with intricate detail in the leaves of the flowers. It's completely unmarked, but it tests between 14 and 18 karat! There is some kind of deep purple inlay in one of the flowers and the bottom of the vase. There is also a black inlay (maybe onyx?) in the square behind the vase. It amazes me to think that this could have been lost over 150 years ago! Was it given to some soldier by his sweetheart to remember her by while he was at war? Did he buy it for her and planned to give it to her when he returned? Who knows!

The rest of the hunt went well, but I couldn't top this piece. I ended up with a William's Cleaner bullet, a 3-ringer, a .31 caliber Tranter bullet, a cuff button back, and a piece of a suspender buckle. One of my buddies found a 3-ringer and two J-hooks, any the other found a William's Cleaner bullet.

Thanks for looking and HH!

PS: I apologize for the blurry closeup pics, but it's really hard to get detailed pics with a cell phone!

Attachments

• gold1.jpg
    gold1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 397
  • gold2.jpg
    gold2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 324
  • gold3.jpg
    gold3.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 262
  • gold5.jpg
    gold5.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 310
  • gold6.jpg
    gold6.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 276
  • gold7.jpg
    gold7.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 225
  • gold9.jpg
    gold9.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 275
  • gold10.jpg
    gold10.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 233
  • gold4.jpg
    gold4.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Upvote 62

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beautiful find!!!! I'm voting banner :occasion14: No doubt,gotta Love it.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i'm voting banner nice find

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look as though the flowers were presented against a black enamel background - that has me thinking this could be " mourning jewelry " Also the underside is deep enough to have contained a small locket of hair or other memento of the deceased (typically under crystal) this particular jewelry became popular again after the death of Prince Albert in 1861-(Queen Victoria's husband)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The craftsmanship is fantastic. You have to wonder if a soldier carried that to remind him of his love back home. Sure beats a Williams cleaner any day!

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's definitely banner from me, bud! And CONGRATS! Must be heavy as hell.

I'd lay a touch of gold leaf foil over the missing/broken flower, which would clean it up totally. Probably do the same over the flowerpot. Looks amazing as it is though. Great find!

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Nice find!

Any theory on what it was for? Could it have been on a ribbon? like those on a GAR ribbon?

What is the measurements?

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find ! Looks like some tiny stones are missing from their settings - though it's a longshot I might be inclined to go back to the hole and take away a 5 gallon bucket of dirt to sift or pan for the stones- not because they are valuable , just the idea of restoring as much as possible.

^this^

Presuming that these are in fact "stones" or pieces of a stone and not lacquer, it would be worth the time and trouble...regardless, it is an amazing find.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What incredible save!! :headbang:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably silver solder

You could try polishing the black solder areas with a metal polish and a old tooth brush. Lots of silver items buried for a long time turn dark. That will show the naysayers it really is solid gold...

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you all so much for the comments, likes, and banner votes!! I rarely ever find anything worth posting, and this find has definitely made my year so far! I'm going to do (or at least try to do) a video tomorrow showing this pin close up and point out some interesting things about it. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but it's REALLY heavy! I love this piece. Every time I look at it, I notice more intricate details that I missed before. Thanks again and HH!

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does look as though the flowers were presented against a black enamel background - that has me thinking this could be " mourning jewelry " Also the underside is deep enough to have contained a small locket of hair or other memento of the deceased (typically under crystal) this particular jewelry became popular again after the death of Prince Albert in 1861-(Queen Victoria's husband)

Argentium, I believe you are right! I looked up some other mourning pins of the era and a few were pretty close to this one. Especially with the filigree on the top and bottom.

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible find ! Looks like some tiny stones are missing from their settings - though it's a longshot I might be inclined to go back to the hole and take away a 5 gallon bucket of dirt to sift or pan for the stones- not because they are valuable , just the idea of restoring as much as possible.

That's a great idea! Unfortunately, I don't think I would ever be able to find that specific hole again... When I dig a plug, it goes back in almost invisible usually. I'll definitely try to find it the next time we go back though!

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that Pin is awesome. A dropped Tranter bullet isn't too shabby of a find either.

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that Pin is awesome. A dropped Tranter bullet isn't too shabby of a find either.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it sure isn't AVON, what you found really does have that "WOW" factor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread