Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: One of the Most AMAZING Relics Ive Ever Found... And its GOLD!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    fishstick

Oct 2012
    Indiana
    Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
    945 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    HELLUVA PIN!!!!! PIN!!!!! Vote in... CONGRATZ.....
    PinFire likes this.

Very nice piece of workmanship & yes I can see its solid GOLD.

What has not been answered is its function?

Is it complete, I think not, part of a large piece.

When was made, no good assuming its CW period until you have a full ID. Good luck with the research, it's not something I have seen before, so can't help.

CONGRATS
    PinFire likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Feb 2005
    Amber Waves of Grain!
    Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
    1040 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thanks again for all the comments everyone! I'm still in shock for finding this piece. Here's a little secret too... this is the first piece of gold I've ever pulled out of the ground! It only took 21 years of metal detecting . Yes, I know there were several gold rings in that wallet I found last year, but this is the first piece I've ever pulled from the dirt.

HH!
    sprailroad and Cobradude22 like this.
    If you search long enough, you'll find what you're looking for.

2018 TOTALS:

Shield Nickels: 1
    V Nickels: 6
    Silvers: 6
    Large Cents: 1
    Wheat Cents: 33
    Indian Head Cents: 4
    CW Bullets: 55
    CW Buttons: 14
    Rings: 4

Awesome Relics:
    Uranium Glass Caddy, Silver Match Vesta, Railroad Watch, Patriotic Suspender Buckles, CW eagle piece, CW era gold mourning pin, CW Carpet Bag Key, Powder Flask Top, Early 1800s Silver Spoon, Burnside Carbine Cartridge

JUNK: 60+ Lbs

Total Hunts: 58

Updated: 12/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by PinFire View Post
    Thanks again for all the comments everyone! I'm still in shock for finding this piece. Here's a little secret too... this is the first piece of gold I've ever pulled out of the ground! It only took 21 years of metal detecting . Yes, I know there were several gold rings in that wallet I found last year, but this is the first piece I've ever pulled from the dirt.

HH!
    I believe it was worth the wait. Great find!
    got Mass Silver?

us
    Feb 2005
    Amber Waves of Grain!
    Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
    1040 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBoy View Post
    Nah, I would never polish, clean, or do anything to something I'D DUG just for the purpose of satisfying some random naysayer on an online forum. Screw 'em. PinFire has nothing to prove.

GREAT find.

-Buck
    Thank you Buck!! I would definitely not do anything to clean or polish this piece. I'd never forgive myself if I damaged it! I'm actually hoping that one of my friends, who makes gold and silver jewelry, will be able to replace the missing stones and possibly the enamel. She does amazing work, but I'm still debating on whether or not I should do it.

2018 TOTALS:

Awesome Relics:
    Uranium Glass Caddy, Silver Match Vesta, Railroad Watch, Patriotic Suspender Buckles, CW eagle piece, CW era gold mourning pin, CW Carpet Bag Key, Powder Flask Top, Early 1800s Silver Spoon, Burnside Carbine Cartridge

us
    Jun 2012
    Natchez, Mississippi
    Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
    140 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Very nice indeed
    PinFire likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Indiana
    Garrett Ace 400
    40 times
    Metal Detecting
    When you find something like this you can’t help but to ponder its story. Amazing find
    PinFire likes this.

us
    Feb 2005
    Amber Waves of Grain!
    Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
    1040 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thanks guys!! I went back out to the spot so I could try and gather some dirt from the hole to sift through for the missing stones. I wasn't able to find it, so I guess the stones are going to remain a mystery!
    catherine1 likes this.

2018 TOTALS:

Awesome Relics:

us
    Feb 2005
    Amber Waves of Grain!
    Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
    1040 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I finally got my gold testing kit so I could test it on video. It actually tests higher than we had originally thought! Here's the video...

HH!
    gold boy likes this.

2018 TOTALS:

Awesome Relics:

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    1368 times
    This is gorgeous! Probably European and my bet is an amulet missing the bale. Retrieve several five gallon buckets and pan for the accent stones. I cast gold and silver jewelry and I think it's assembled from several different castings, See the rivet. They often avoided soldering because it could burn the metal and effectively ruin the piece. Despite the talents of artisans of the time some of the detail is too perfect to have been individually wrought. As you know, officers commissions were purchased at that time especially in the Confederacy. I don't know about the soldier but the sweetheart was somebody. The average farm girl dreamed her whole life long in vain to own something like this. I can't explain the several discolored and corroded spots unless they are old repairs that weren't properly done. Back then and well into the twentieth century soldering of gold and silver jewelry was done with an alcohol lamp with a blow tube on it. You lit the lamp and blew through the tube to produce a flame of significant heat to make the solder flow without burning or melting the base metal. It's very time sensitive process to fuse the components without burning the metal. Burn the metal and the heat affected area will corrode.

But great find and a great insight into the faith these folks must have had.

On a side note have any of you folks ever seen a piece of "Mourning Ware" very nice gold pin back frames with a lock of the deceased's hair captured under glass. After folks saw that if the remains were returned they were so decomposed that the hair was either gone or too macabre to save, so they clipped their son's/husbands hair and kept it in the family bible. Should the loved one fall the hair would be incorporated into a pin or amulet for the mother or widow to wear during her period of mourning. GA Custer operated extensively in my area doing a scorched earth program designed by Philip Sheridan. Armies couldn't move without horses, horses couldn't move without grain so Sheridan ordered Custer to burn the mills along the Shenandoah and it's tributaries. Not stated in Custer's orders was the execution of the millers and their employees. Nearby to where I found my first mourning pin was a mill owned by the Traister family. One of the young children was shot on site. The other three were hanged just outside of Front Royal, Virginia. My family also operated a mill 40ty miles up the south fork. We had intermarried with the Traister family. My takeaway is Hurray For Sitting Bull, Hurray For Crazy Horse, Hurray for Rain Cloud! Karma is a *****!
    arrow86 likes this.

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    1368 times
    You know, in looking at this thing abain I believe it might be vermeil. Rolled gold over silver. I think those two dark spots are where the gold has flaked off and has revealed the silver underneath. Still a great find!

Jun 2013
    580 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    What an amazing find! How did this not make banner? I will throw my vote in. I can't believe some people don't think this is solid gold? Especially with that video. Don't let them bother you. This is a banner find for sure
    PinFire likes this.

us
    Feb 2005
    Amber Waves of Grain!
    Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
    1040 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubka888 View Post
    What an amazing find! How did this not make banner? I will throw my vote in. I can't believe some people don't think this is solid gold? Especially with that video. Don't let them bother you. This is a banner find for sure
    Thanks Rubka! There's no doubt in my mind, especially after testing it three times, that it's gold! I actually made another video addressing the areas that look plated, but I have misplaced the file. As soon as I find it, I'll post it on here. Thanks for the banner vote as well! It's easily my best find of the year! So far...

HH!

2018 TOTALS:

Awesome Relics:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links