🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1820s Resort in Virginia finds

Hello All,

After digging in Colorado and Utah (on a business trip), then some gold at the beach, I took off to visit family in Virginia and reconnect with my mentor. Hunted a privately-owned battlefield there which he and I have hunted together since 1991 (and he's hunted since the 1960s!). Was great to see him again. We both had ancestors that fought as Confederates on these hills.

cloyds 1.JPG

Didn't expect to find much, as it's been hit hard. But we did recover some bullets and shell frags, and I also got a flat button and a pretty Indian:

cloy1.JPG cloy2.JPG

Then we invested some time in tracking down a lost Confederate camp (marked a few more fields off the list), and my wife (Diggergirl) joined us and we got permission for an 1820s resort. Figured that had been hit hard but we dug round balls, zoave and flat buttons, and old coins. :) The troops marched right through the front yard where the old road was (and where my wife is detecting). The bridge coming in was highly questionable but we drove across it :help:

IMG_8143.jpg IMG_8138.jpg

The owner gave us a tour of the house, adjoining former kitchen, hotel rooms, buildings, etc. The room below was the ballroom:

IMG_8137.jpg

Walking down a hillside I got an 82 reading locking in on my F75. Laughing, I said "there's no way that's a silver quarter." Well, four inches deep--it was!

IMG_8140.jpg IMG_8145.jpg

Circling around that area, I got a faint, bouncy signal that ended up locking right in after the plug was removed. Ended up being a deep V nickel:

IMG_8147.jpg

It was a sweet 1919 Standing Liberty. Easily the nicest one I've ever dug. Most of mine are worn slick at the date.

IMG_1917.JPG IMG_1918.JPG

Here are my finds. The wife and my mentor both got a couple old coins, bullets and buttons as well.

IMG_1916.JPG

Cheers,

Buck

Upvote 60
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Will! That looks like a killer area to hunt full of history and goodies. I bet you old timer friend has seen some incredible things come from the grounds.
Steve

Yes he has. I wanted to interview him and photograph some of his favorite finds for American Digger but he treasures his privacy even more than the amazing things he's dug.

Cheers,

Buck

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice coins Buckleboy. That Standing Lib is a blazer.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the SLQ 1919. Stunner! Great time spending leisurely tecting time with your mentor. Kudos!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One could only dream of finding a 1919 SLQ in that condition. Awesome find indeed.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes he has. I wanted to interview him and photograph some of his favorite finds for American Digger but he treasures his privacy even more than the amazing things he's dug.

Cheers,

Buck

I don't blame him. Great looking area to hunt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1919 looks amazing!!! Congrats

Alre

Greenie
Mar 7, 2018
Jersey Shore, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & White's MX5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice finds..........................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread