Barber, Merc, other cool things at the Meadows.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Went back to the Meadows field this afternoon. No construction crew was there, so I had the place all to myself. I wanted to take pictures of the field to show you all, but I forgot to take my camera with me. Maybe tomorrow. Anyway, I had found 45 silver coins at this place last year and 3 more this past week. Today I found my 49th and 50th silvers in this field. A lot of neat things have come out of there.

Barber dime found today:
meadows again 004.JPG meadows again 001.JPG

A Merc also:
meadows again 002.JPG meadows again 003.JPG

10 wheaties dated from 1910 to 1948, 2 Buffalos undated and 3 Jeffs, 1939, 1953-D and 1955-D:
meadows again 005.JPG

Yale pendant pin, piece of silver ring, transit driver button and conductor badge:
meadows again 006.JPG

Other artifacts:
meadows again 007.JPG

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
way to go bob! i got skunked pretty much over at the spot we were talking about. i cant wait for a chance to hunt the other side of that creek. looks like you had a great day! i will talk to you soon.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nice group of finds!

Barbers are always cool! Marbles are like cherries on top!

Congratulations!

Ridley

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Cool blurb about a great hunt there buddy Bob! 8) Nice to see that diggin' old coins is gettin' back into yer blood again, after gettin' so used to huntin' for the big caches... ;)

I've been away for a bit, where did you first mention, your cool spot you call the Meadow, so I can go back and read those posts? Your wordsmith ways have captured my interest from the first time I read one of your posts. Feels good to be back here @ TNet and to see ya diggin' some Very Kool old American coinage my friend! 8)

Have a Very Large Day to-day, God's on yer side...

lb

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That barber is a sweet coin.

Nice work
Dig it- Ken

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks everybody.

larrybass,

Nice to see you back. I think I first related the story about "The Meadows" in a post on September 14 titled "Back to the Meadows." I'm not sure I mentioned it before, as I didn't join T-Net until after I had hunted the place last year. However, I did post some pictures of my finds from there on the "Just Images" forum last year when I was learning how to post pictures.

Haven't found a cache in two and a half years. I think those days are over. It took quite awhile to get over it. I've gradually gotten back into coinshooting, but I prefer to hunt in unusual places where coins aren't normally expected to be found. It's more exciting that way. Hence, the sandbar finds, the woods finds and the Meadows finds. Anyway, thanks again.
Bob

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
I'm not sure which finds I like the best. A great bunch of finds. They are all awesome!
Congrats to you,
MM

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Very nice finds, Bob!! That a lot of silver you've pulled out of those meadows. What do you think was there to hold all that coinage there years ago? Older home sites, general store?

Keep up the great work!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Captn-SE,

There used to be a really old neighborhood there they called The Meadows. Just about the whole area has been demolished. All that's left is the Fire House and a couple of houses. There was one main road which ran down to Tinicum Township. It was lined with old houses, schools, churches, little stores, inns and saloons. There was a large enclosed ballfield and playground area. Five or six years ago they graded it off and made a parking lot out of it. But before they paved it, my friends and I metal detected the place and found some really old coins, like large cents, colonial coppers and a bust dime. The field we're hunting now was once right across the street from a Catholic school and church. The area we're finding most of the coins in may have been a play area for the school kids or else a common yard or little park for the houses around the block. We're not finding stuff as old as on the other lot, but we're not doing bad. The stuff we've found dates back to the turn of the last century. Hope this answers your questions. HH
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread