Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: 1652 cut tree coin and a Louis XIV 4 Sols

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    Thanks for the education STC. So is it more common to find any tree coin while or cut. Although very rare to find any tree coin period I was assuming more whole coins are found than cut due to size?
    Thankfully, it's more common to find whole coins at least up in New England. I believe the cut coins are more frequently encountered down in Virginia - Spanish pistareens. Other members can speak to that better than I. My last Mass Silver was a holed two-pence from last year. Then there's the cut shilling. They're awesome finds but still a bit bittersweet.
    oxbowbarefoot likes this.
    got Mass Silver?

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    6354 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tree Chaser View Post
    Thankfully, it's more common to find whole coins at least up in New England. I believe the cut coins are more frequently encountered down in Virginia - Spanish pistareens. Other members can speak to that better than I. My last Mass Silver was a holed two-pence from last year. Then there's the cut shilling. They're awesome finds but still a bit bittersweet.
    Bittersweet is not an emotion Im experiencing at all. Probably 99.9% of detectorists will never get their coil over one, cut or whole
    oxbowbarefoot and gwdigger like this.
    Favorite finds
    Silver Pomander c. 1700- 17th century buckles- Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Louis XIV 4 Sols- 8 Spanish Cobs- Cut Pistareen-colonial silver cufflink-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink-1814 Half Real-1852 Gold $1-Seated Half Dollar-2 Seated Quarters-25 Seated Dimes-11 Seated Half Dimes-4 Trimes-1865 French 50 centimes love token- 6 gold rings

Toasted - Understood! Mass Silver with the minting of the New England type coinage in 1652 were the very first silver coins minted in North America. So congrats to you! Recovering such a coin down your way is an impressive feat. I hope you pound that site good and have more discoveries to post in the near future.
    toasted and oxbowbarefoot like this.
    got Mass Silver?

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil
    4160 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sweet historic recoveries! Love those incredibly rare and old silvers!
    toasted likes this.

us
    May 2011
    MASATHVSETS/Vermont
    XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab Safari, Pro-pointer
    1645 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Thanks. Definately in my top three favorite finds. I wonder how often cut Massachusetts silver is found compared to whole coins. I would love to know why this one was cut down so small. It rang up in the pull tab range too

Very few cut tree coin specimens are found compared to whole coins. I know of perhaps a dozen examples. My first Mass silver was a cut Pine Tree Shilling. A week later I dug a complete Oak Tree Shilling. I followed that up with a Pine Tree Threepence (uncut).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mass silver 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1619594
    Last edited by oxbowbarefoot; Aug 06, 2018 at 11:30 PM.
    toasted likes this.
    2016 Totals:

Silver Coins: 5
    Coppers: 5
    Colonial Silvers: 1
    Oldest Coin: 1652 Pine Tree Threepence
    Gold Coins: 0

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    7743 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tree Chaser View Post
    You know youíve found too many Mass silvers when you feel a bit of disappointment at pulling a cut piece lol. Iím just playing bud. I understand exactly what youíre saying. Itís just mind blowing that Toasted found a piece that small with a date. I knew with that little piece it could be idíd fairly easily. Man Iíd lose my mind if I found a Willow tree. Straight up heart attack if a NE popped out.
    oxbowbarefoot and toasted like this.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

Jun 2013
    355 times
    This is so cool. What a spot you have there! I really like that you got the part of the coin with the tree and the date. It is a weird shape to be cut. I wonder the story behind it? Oh and banner!

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    6354 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxbowbarefoot View Post
    Very few cut tree coin specimens are found compared to whole coins. I know of perhaps a dozen examples. My first Mass silver was a cut Pine Tree Shilling. A week later I dug a complete Oak Tree Shilling. I followed that up with a Pine Tree Threepence (uncut).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mass silver 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1619594
    I didnt know any cut silver was found in New England because I dont even see cut Pistareens come out of New England much if at all. Perhaps there was an influx of small copper change in New England by the time of the Pistareen but not when Mass silver circulated. I get a little bit of both here in Marland. Closer to equal amounts of copper small change and silvers( more coppers obviously) while further south it is nearly all silver, mostly cut
    Last edited by toasted; Aug 07, 2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Favorite finds
    Silver Pomander c. 1700- 17th century buckles- Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Louis XIV 4 Sols- 8 Spanish Cobs- Cut Pistareen-colonial silver cufflink-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink-1814 Half Real-1852 Gold $1-Seated Half Dollar-2 Seated Quarters-25 Seated Dimes-11 Seated Half Dimes-4 Trimes-1865 French 50 centimes love token- 6 gold rings

us
    Apr 2014
    White's MXT Pro / Garrett AT Gold
    521 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congratulations! I'm sure you are still on Cloud Nine! I will always vote Banner on a Tree Coin!
    White's MXT Pro / Garrett AT Gold

us
    The Urban Pirate

Jul 2014
    Queens, NY
    Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250, Mark II, Pro-pointer, RadEye Radiation Detector
    4810 times
    If there's no dirt under your nails, you're not trying hard enough.
    Banner Finds (2)
    Holy historic finds Batman! That pine tree fragment with the date is amazing! The Cromwell government was not too fond of these pesky American colonists making these coins.
    toasted, terpfan and oxbowbarefoot like this.
    Let history be your treasure map .

us
    Dec 2006
    Ocean City, Md
    XP Deus. Have Blisstool V6 but only used once.
    1319 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    We have 2 cut MASS: a pine tree and an oak tree. I also have a complete oak tree sixpence for 3 MASS silvers total. I watched a guy dig a 1/4 cut of a shilling but it was so long ago I don't even remember the type. But remember he got the 52 of the date and the tree detail was clear. And I know some Virginians have posted cuts in here too. So I agree, there are more cut MASS found around here than whole. No prob. I'll take the cut MASS all day long.

us
    Jul 2012
    USA
    Minelab E-Trac
    2242 times
    Absolutely incredible!
    toasted likes this.

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    6354 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwdigger View Post
    We have 2 cut MASS: a pine tree and an oak tree. I also have a complete oak tree sixpence for 3 MASS silvers total. I watched a guy dig a 1/4 cut of a shilling but it was so long ago I don't even remember the type. But remember he got the 52 of the date and the tree detail was clear. And I know some Virginians have posted cuts in here too. So I agree, there are more cut MASS found around here than whole. No prob. I'll take the cut MASS all day long.
    Yeah Ill probably dig another gold coin before I find another piece of one of these. Did you also find a lot of cobs or other early silvers where you found your Mass silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Sooper Dave View Post
    Absolutely incredible!
    Thanks. Incredible site. Glad I got to be the one to discover it
    Favorite finds

us
    Dec 2006
    Ocean City, Md
    XP Deus. Have Blisstool V6 but only used once.
    1319 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Yeah Ill probably dig another gold coin before I find another piece of one of these. Did you also find a lot of cobs or other early silvers where you found your Mass silver?
    2 of the MASS sites did produce multiple cobs. The other MASS was found at 1679 site and it was the only coin found so far. When you find other, similar sites, and you will eventually, I believe you'll turn up more.

us
    Aug 2013
    Asheville, NC
    Nokta Fors Core Pro pack ◊ 2 Nokta Pointer Rattler head phones Lesche digger
    240 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Night time?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links