Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to check out the machines but do no asked for the machines to be open.

I think asking to open the machine is a felony in CT! I've gotten some really dirty looks from the cashiers and baggers when I check the reject tray, but then I get dirty looks most everywhere I go,so.... Last week the wife (who always checks the reject tray) got a '40 wheat and a '43 steel penny. I'm hoping the sticky substance was only gum or candy and not some bodily fluid.

Couple years ago I had a case where an addict stole his grandfather's coin collection and brought it to Coinstar. Surveillance video showed him and his sh**head buddy tearing the coins out of the protective sleeves and feeding them into the machine. Most of the rejects he traded for face value at one of our less reputable check cashing stores. Those weren't recovered but two detectives from the local PD spent a day in Springfield Mass, going through the Coinstar centralized facilities and they recovered almost all coins accepted by Coinstar.

Now there is a job I'd like!

HH
dts

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't have a coinstar machine in this little town. We have 2 banks, a supermarket, and a Sheetz, 24 hour gas station / franchise,, but no Coinstar.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Going by my Kroger today.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a simple fun thing to do as you walk by to do your shopping

I think most people do it because they need the money, not for "fun". What fun is it to let some corporation shaft you out of 12% of your money? Plus, they keep any silver coins and Ike dollars to boot. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any one ever get any static from the store for grabbing coin star change

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coinstar doesn’t dictate their policies to each individual store, unless there is an issue....
Likewise, each stores policies are different from one another, as it comes down to the discretion of the store managers, and their employees regarding Coinstar cleaning, maintenance, and sometimes, recovery of property.
I’ve got stores that have declined my request to clean out the lint trap and dirt cup, and I’ve got other stores that, if they aren’t busy are happy to oblige my request.
It comes down to luck and opportunity. You get the goods, or you get the stink eye.

And, if you want to an upskirt photo of a Coinstar.... this is courtesy of a Walmart, who’s location will not be divulged.....
31556703-0EC1-4296-B9E5-E05FF5BBB553.jpeg

Oh, and FWIW.....My score today was courtesy of the Dirt Cup, aka numismatic glory hole.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most people do it because they need the money, not for "fun". What fun is it to let some corporation shaft you out of 12% of your money? Plus, they keep any silver coins and Ike dollars to boot. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Take a deep breath there FreeBird. I was talking about as in, when going into the market, glancing over at the coinstar machine to see if there were anything left in the reject tray, that's all, like so many here do. Jeeeez

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't have a coinstar machine in this little town. We have 2 banks, a supermarket, and a Sheetz, 24 hour gas station / franchise,, but no Coinstar.

Sounds like a great little town, ATW. I envy you.
HH
dts

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a deep breath there FreeBird. I was talking about as in, when going into the market, glancing over at the coinstar machine to see if there were anything left in the reject tray, that's all, like so many here do. Jeeeez

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted what you posted.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I shop very late at night, after work. I know the people that work the graveyard shift at my local store. They take me in store as one of the local loonies. One night when I went to check it was jammed with sticky coins from the dump tray to the reject slot. The clerk said the manager was coming to clean it out. I waited, and asked him what he was going to do with the mess. He said throw it out. I said throw it my way, I could clean it in my rock tumbler. Bingo! It really does help to take the time to get to know the people that work in the stores. They are people just like you and me. Same thing goes for the credit union. A little friendly conversation can go a long way. And add silver to the mini hoard!

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that many Coinstar employees that work on the machines are getting increasingly aggressive over the finds in the dirt cups and purposely lying to the store saying that the store isn't allowed to give what is in the dirt cup to anyone but Coinstar. I was looking at the jug the other day inside a machine and the guy said "That's not ours it's Coinstar's". I replied with "Didn't you even look at it? It's all trash and bent coins, I'm pretty sure people just dump the dirt cup in that". He said "The guy who comes to take the draws says we can get in trouble if we touch it". Yeah, no you can't, unless it's against your store's policy. They've actually started calling some stores whenever they open the machine at all these days.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No big deal. By the way, I do agree with you on the 12%, I feel the same about those "Pay Day" loan places. Outrageous interest. Something about, "kick a man when he's down". ANYWAY, back to Coin Star. So the best I've ever done is one silver Franklin dime, and an Irish coin.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice for Coinstar hunts is to check the floor area near the machine. The reject tray fills up and then the coins go flying out of it and onto the floor. I have found two silver Rosies and 4 or 5 Wheaties that way.

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found loads of coins not only under, on top or on the floor, but also underneath nearby machines.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in places that get a fair bit of modern Canada coins ..there is a magnet in the sorter tube to filter out the "steel based coins" which the coin star thinks of as "slugs" --if too many are put thru ….it can and does clog the feed tube and it then has to be physically cleaned out by a store employee o0r a coin star tech ...yielding lots of candain coins and anything else that was stuck behind the clog in the process ...since canadain coins are NOT legal tender in the USA --I used to get the store employee that used to clean out the machine when it clogged to give me the canadain coins --tokens and other odd ball items -- earrings ,chains and such I gave him a 3 lb coffee can and when I did my weekly shopping trip ==swapped out a fresh can -- I got almost 100 bucks in canadain coins --because several of the local truckers go to Canada to drop and pick up loads --that means coins that get dumped into the coin star -- --I got smart took a few bucks US and the mailed all the Canada coins up to a coin dealer in Canada that sold American silver coins --traded and got us silver -- upon reciving the us coins --i sold a few to recover my original to Canada mailing cost --bottom line --FREE SILVER

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions